7468Re: UXI Matrix

  • kerrykimbrough
    Feb 8, 2012
      Sorry, there's a lot for me to clarify about my previous critique.

      I don't think the factors modeled in the UXI matrix are useless -- I think they are crucial. I am not disinterested in UX metrics -- nor are most devs I've worked with. I agree that making UX work more visible is valuable for the whole team. I agree that it's pointless to deliver without accounting for the value added by the UI. Let us stipulate that none of those points are in dispute.

      The UXI matrix was offered as a way to help teams integrate UX into Scrum. I interpret that to mean "into the Scrum process practiced also by (non-UX) devs". But does it? That's where I have my doubts.

      How to connect UX with dev in an agile process? I have a POV, but I'm still trying to figure it out. Which is why I'm here.

      I see that many of the crucial UCD activities -- identifying personas, sifting alternative design visions, contextual research to validate, etc. -- must occur as a prelude to full-bore dev work. (Note that I'm glossing over earlier kinds of collaboration with devs, via "design in browser", etc., which I think is a great idea.) Until this work is sufficiently done, the story does not even exist -- in the *form needed by devs* to do their work. But when it is done, devs can proceed without understanding all of the details of what it took to bring the work to their input queue. Indeed, I'd say "..*must* proceed..." -- otherwise, we have a disruption in the flow. Please understand that, per my previous stipulation, I'm *not* saying "...must proceed without any concern for or regard for or interest in...". No, I'm saying something quite different.

      I don't see how the UXI matrix helps devs proceed with their work. I do see how it might help UX folks manage their prior work. But I'm less clear on how it helps to integrate UX into Scrum.

      To me, the UXI matrix looks a bit fussy, because I think simpler techniques could work better. Has any UX team tried using a Kanban board to model their work? The columns might capture much of the same content as the matrix. But a Kanban board would be easier to manage, would offer greater visibility, and would better help spot bottlenecks on a day-to-day basis.

      Regards,
      Kerry
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic