7362Re: [agile-usability] How do you avoid scope creep when integrating user research into the scrums?

    Aug 12 3:05 AM
      On 12 Aug 2011, at 03:53, Yaniv Nord wrote:

      > It's virtually impossible to do usability testing in the context of a sprint.
      >
      > By the time your story is pointed, commitment line set, and sprint has
      > started, you should have your ux work 95% stable.
      >
      > That means your work (research, design, testing, iteration, etc) needs
      > to happen up front, running at least one sprint ahead, preferably two
      > or three. I have yet to talk to anyone doing ux in an serious agile
      > environment that's able to iterate design in any meaningful way during
      > a sprint.

      I think that depends on the kind of usability testing that you're doing, and the issues that your product development process is leaving for you to discover mid-sprint.

      There are people successfully doing in-sprint usability testing - even multiple sets of usability tests during a single sprint (see http://is.gd/h2YpDq for example).

      The key difference I see with teams that have that approach are:

      * they've got a product development process that's leaving them with few, if any, large usability issues to discover at that late stage

      * they have a very clear definition of "done" that the whole team values so they can quickly decide whether an issue needs to be addressed immediately or postponed to a later iteration