7354Re: [agile-usability] How do you avoid scope creep when integrating user research into the scrums?

  • Jeff Wall
    Aug 11, 2011
      I think the answer depends on whose perspective you are viewing this from.

      From the Product Owners perspective, it is the teams job to do exactly what they did.   They ran the tests got the results and presented them to the Product Owners.  It is the Product Owners job to prioritize the Stories.  If basic functionality trumps a better design that is their call.

      From the development teams perspective is sounds like the Product Owners could use some Agile Coaching.  Change in an Agile project is a good thing and should not be considered scope creep.

      As a User experience Analyst and a Business Analyst I've been on a project where we had to deliver a large amount of basic functionality in a given time frame (the time frame was our mistake).  So, we didn't have room in the iterations for stories to modify the UI the way it needed and incorporate feedback.  It had to wait until phase 2.....

      Jeffrey M. Wall
      Sr. Business Systems Analyst
      jmwall67@...

      On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Jared Spool <jspool@...> wrote:

      Hi there,

      I have a client who recently asked me about this problem. I was wondering how you'd handle it?

      They are new to UX and to Agile methods, so they are struggling in interesting ways.

      As part of a recent project, they added some usability testing to their sprints. They'd never done a usability test before and, as a result, discovered many usability issues with the design.

      However, many of the problems they found were outside the original scope of the project. The UX team members wanted desperately to add many of the problems to the project's backlog, but instantly found resistance from the product owners who didn't want to delay the delivery. The result was a sense from the UX folks that the product owners didn't care about a good user experience.

      My question is how might you have avoided this problem? I had initially suggested that the team needed more upfront definition of what is and isn't within the project's scope and a way to record outside-of-scope usability issues for future projects.

      What do you think?

      Jared

      Jared M. Spool
      User Interface Engineering
      510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
      e: jspool@... p: +1 978 327 5561
      http://uie.com Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks Twitter: @jmspool