7352How do you avoid scope creep when integrating user research into the scrums?

  • Jared Spool
    Aug 11, 2011
      Hi there,

      I have a client who recently asked me about this problem. I was wondering how you'd handle it?

      They are new to UX and to Agile methods, so they are struggling in interesting ways.

      As part of a recent project, they added some usability testing to their sprints. They'd never done a usability test before and, as a result, discovered many usability issues with the design.

      However, many of the problems they found were outside the original scope of the project. The UX team members wanted desperately to add many of the problems to the project's backlog, but instantly found resistance from the product owners who didn't want to delay the delivery. The result was a sense from the UX folks that the product owners didn't care about a good user experience.

      My question is how might you have avoided this problem? I had initially suggested that the team needed more upfront definition of what is and isn't within the project's scope and a way to record outside-of-scope usability issues for future projects.

      What do you think?

      Jared

      Jared M. Spool
      User Interface Engineering
      510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
      e: jspool@... p: +1 978 327 5561
      http://uie.com Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks Twitter: @jmspool
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic