7251Re: UX roadmap development guidance for product owners

  • hughrbeyer
    Feb 12, 2011
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Van Cleve, Paula M" <paula.m.van.cleve@...> wrote:
      > Thanks Austin and Hugh for the practical advice! Our challenge now is to identify the types of questions that Product Owners should ask of their business partners as they define the desired long term user experience visions and plans to enable the desired UX over time through their solution roadmaps.

      This is another short question with a long answer. But if you're thinking in terms of "what questions to ask," you're very likely starting out on the wrong foot.

      If you want your solution roadmaps to reflect the real issues of the business, you've got to understand the  the detailed practice of the business--not only the goals of the directors, but the day-to-day activities and behaviors of the people who actually make the work happen. You can't do that by asking questions. The managers don't know the answers and the people doing the work have never articulated them. You need to design a method to find out what's really going on--from managers and individual contributors both--and then conceptualize an integrated response. Your solution roadmaps then implement aspects of this overall response.

      Hugh Beyer
      InContext Design
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic