7053RE: accurate quotes was Re: [agile-usability] stories and wireframes

  • Mike Dwyer
    Feb 28, 2010

      Glen

      While I see the value of your question, I think what Jon is pointing out was not an unusual situation, when the RFI was used to reveal the ‘best ideas’ from multiple vendors.  The resulting RFP’s and RFQ were not much more than a combined shopping list from all the vendors who submitted.  To the ‘winners’ of such contracts, the software CLIN’s were often poorly disguised lifts from the RFI’s and the RFP responses.  The performance CLIN’s that used MIPS as a criteria still make me edgy.  That single bogus criteria probably wasted more ink, legal time, and fruitless development than anything else that comes to mind.  Here we had a marketing gimmick being accepted as a benchmarking tool.  If you worked for Sperry, CDC, DEC or Wang and had IBM influencing contracts to use MIPS you knew you were going to spend a truck load of time building crap that allowed you to show your system stepping through instructions that mimicked the IBM instruction set and did not take advantage of the advances your products had in macro instruction management.  Now jump back to Jon’s comments about an estimate that is supposed to be within 10% and I think Jon’s politic description of this being R&D is a sign of his restraint and maturity.

      (BTW my apologies to all those who follow this group.  My example is as far from stories and wireframes and UI UX as you can get, but I hope it goes to show that even those of us who dwell in the underworld of computers have usability issues!)

      Mike Dwyer
      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."