6986Re: Error Management (was RE: [agile-usability] Re: Real data)

  • George Dinwiddie
    Feb 12, 2010
      Hi, Jon,

      Jon Kern wrote:
      > ok, maybe it is silly to debate the term...
      >
      > George it's a free country, use method anytime you please :-)
      >
      > I personally will only use "method" when I want to describe some way
      > that I achieve something over and over. Often in an abstract sense,
      > often in a step-wise way. Often because the "something" is a desirous
      > end goal, and one that I (or someone else) wants more than one time.
      >
      > I would not describe the /ad hoc/ "how" of the one and only time I will
      > ever do something as a "method" if it is not.

      I've never found creating software to be a "one and only time" no matter
      how small the program. There's a lot of similarity between writing one
      line of code and writing the next.

      And I've observed, that people generally continue to do something
      somewhat in the fashion they've done it before. Thoughtful people will
      consider the result their achieving, and modify their actions to try to
      improve some aspect.

      I've never seen anyone continue to approach the work as if they'd never
      done anything like it before, choosing some completely different way of
      working. And I've never seen anyone carefully follow the recipe in a
      process manual. At best, a process manual gives the worker some ideas.

      It's the process people actually /do/ that has an effect. If you and
      Scott and Glen want to reserve the word "method" for officially blessed
      procedures, go right ahead. It won't change a thing.

      - George