6717Re: [agile-usability] Linkedin Group on Agile and UX

  • Tim Wright
    Jan 5, 2010
      To quote from http://www.bigvisible.com/gschlitz/passive-conduit/ (because Im tired after work :)

      "I believe that one of the simplest and most effective things an Agile project manager can do is, ironically, nothing!

      "Well, not really nothing. But none of the things mentioned above. The Agile PM should be a conduit of information, a “passive conduit” as Thomsett describes nicely in his excellent book. Instead of solving problems, focus on getting problems to the right people. For every challenge, risk and issue arises, spend your time communicating to those who need to know, those who are empowered and able to solve the challenge or issue, or who are affected by the risk."

      On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM, William Pietri <william@...> wrote:

      On 01/05/2010 06:20 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
      IT's a slightly different setup than that. The Agile PM has two teams that report to him (either through secondment from business or as their managers - we don't do the matrix resourcing anymore). One is the development team and the other is the business experts team. The business experts act more like a customer or product owner.
      The project is measured (and the PM rewarded) by how well the project meets several "success sliders" and removes roadblocks that hinder the team achieving those measures - as well as identifying external (to the project) things that might impact the team.

      Interesting. I'm still a little unclear on what that person actually does. You mentioned previously that the project manager is responsible for delivery, but in the fully Agile shops I'm familiar with, it's the team that is responsible.

      Just so I can understand their function better, what would happen if you didn't have the project manager? If you just had all of those people working as one team with common goals?

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic