6528RE: [agile-usability] Designing toggle icon [1 Attachment]

  • Larry Constantine
    Oct 30, 2009

      Alain,

      Indeed, this is a generic problem for which there is no single best solution. It depends. But my own research shows that people who interpret the label on a toggle button to mean the command to be executed (rather than the current state) are in the majority. However, labels on function buttons that change are problematic in any case. (Although, I have used them on rare and carefully reasoned occasion.)

      Here are the options that my work suggests work best, on average (your mileage may vary):

      (a)     have a button with an unchanging label (the on-state) that appears depressed (or on) when selected

      (b)    have two buttons (watches on, watches off) linked visually and in behavior

      (c)     use a check box (e.g., [ ] Watches on)

      On a Wiki, I would favor the latter as more in keeping with the Web-based interface; and it’s simpler.

      --Larry Constantine