6525Re: Designing toggle icon

  • marjoriepries
    Oct 30, 2009
      The problem seems to be in depending on the color to convey the meaning while the eye is static. Maybe if you tried a closed eye vs. an open eye and forgot about the colored checkmarks completely, then.

      the idea of a ligthhouse with a signal beam vs. one without also came to my mind.

      Marjorie

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...> wrote:

      > The problem I am having is that no matter what icon I come up with, some
      > people interpret it as representing the STATE of the watches, and some
      > people interpret it as the ACTION that will be done on the state of the
      > watches when they click on it. Unfortunately, these two interpretations
      > tend to contradict each other. For example, an eye with a green
      > checkmark can be interpreted as:
      >

      > - Traces are ON (and therefore, click here to turn them OFF)
      >
      > OR
      >
      > - Click here to turn traces ON (and therefore, they are
      > currently OFF)
      >

      > Which are exact opposite of each other. I have tested the list of icons
      > in the attached MS Word file with a dozen people or so, and I find this
      > contradiction applies with all of them.
      >

      > Thx.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic