6487Re: New To Usability - Trying To Learn & Define Standards

  • davidanthonyfreedman
    Oct 2, 2009
      Hi William,

      I work here at CAA with Doug and run our Development group. Just a little more context. We are an agile shop through and through. Our applications are a combination of internal LOB apps, communications apps, ERP apps, partner-facing (B to B) apps and a few extenally-facing websites. We've got a relatively small internal staff (project management, dev/architecture, QA/UX and packaged apps) who are collaborate with our offshore partner in South America for delivery. Both ourselved and our dev partner's processes are primarily Scrum-based.

      We've got a broad portfolio of apps with a lot of work in progress at any moment in time (some would argue that a better strategy would be to limit WIP per Kanban). The importance of standards for us is not so much in the context of contranstraints, but in the as a baseline for continual improvement. It's simply a means to socialize lessons learned. Any team may innovate on those standards or depart where not applicable. Also, inventing everytime is expensive and fallable so standards serve as a checklist.

      We've got an aspiring UX team (which Doug leads) whose core competency is rooted in QA. From my perspective, they've got fantasic UX instincts and some practical experience using common UX techniques (Paper prototying, etc) but want to grow their toolbelt of techniques understanding that and given tool is appropriate to a circumstance and that the team will use their judgement.

      Long winded way of saying that we seek standards in support of people and interactions, not in place of. Make sense?

      David

      p.s. I'm a long time board lurker and friends of a few on this board. Thank you all for your contributions...I learn a lot here.