644Re: [agile-usability] Linux interface library documentation

    Oct 5 9:12 AM
      On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 07:50, Dave Cronin wrote:
      > Hi All,
      > I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any resources
      > about Linux presentation layer standards. I'm pretty new to Linux and
      > any materials would be helpful. In particular I'm interested in what
      > aspects are customizable/controllable, and what are system determined.

      Hi, Dave. If I understand your question rightly, you're looking for
      something like Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for Linux. Is that

      I have never heard of anything like that. The core windowing system,
      X11, is notorious for having no standards of any sort. The best bet
      would be that one of the Desktop/GUI-Toolkit efforts, like GNOME or KDE
      would have something. However, at least as RedHat ships them, they both
      end up working and acting a lot like Windows.

      As to what's customizable and controllable, the answer is that if you're
      willing to go deep enough, nearly everything. Otherwise, it completely
      depends on what language and GUI toolkits you decide to use. The most
      common choices these days are GNOME and KDE; their sites may be a good
      place to start:

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic