6151Re: [agile-usability] Is your right brain active?

  • Jon Kern
    May 11, 2009
      > The real problem I've found with the left/right thing is that it
      becomes a label.

      That would be a problem, as labels usually are... the original goofy
      thing i saw on this at least mentioned that you can work to improve
      either "side" of the brain... Which I think is a truism.

      As far as your other "it could be this, it could be that's" -- agreed.
      Who knows what really goes on in such exercises of the mind.

      Maybe the "test" should be given in varying order with and without a
      sudoku puzzle <g>.

      jon
      blog: http://technicaldebt.wetpaint.com
      twitter: http://twitter.com/JonKernPA

      Adrian Howard said the following on 5/10/09 9:22 AM:

      > On 8 May 2009, at 17:06, Jon Kern wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks Larry/(Adrian),
      > >
      > > You are entitled to your bean raining/usual rants -- as long as you
      > > took
      > > the test <g>.
      >
      > More than a minute, under five. Probably not a fair time coz I knew it
      > would either be an actual image - or a pattern in the beans - so I was
      > looking for it in a particular way :-)
      >
      > [snip]
      > > Because, whether it is based on "brain facts" or not, it is still
      > > fun to
      > > hear my IT friends get tripped up on the test, yet their spouses or
      > > kids
      > > see it immediately. And whether it is based on LEFT/RIGHT or merely
      > > the
      > > ability for your brain to process the image faster or slower, I find
      > > it
      > > interesting anecdotal evidence.
      > [snip]
      >
      > Also possibly dangerous anecdotal data :-) Maybe it's not a creative
      > distinction. Maybe there's no distinction at all (your sample size is
      > small). Maybe it's a distinction of folk who were looking for a
      > "trick" in the image - rather than a literal picture. Maybe it's the
      > environment the question is framed in. Maybe it's rested vs tired
      > rather than technical vs creative Maybe...
      >
      > The real problem I've found with the left/right thing is that it
      > becomes a label. You can't do X coz you're a left brain type. You
      > can't do Y coz you're a right brain type. Etc. This is, in my
      > experience, a deeply harmful outlook for people. Especially when the
      > labels are mythical :-)
      >
      > Even if you take the original research by Fink and Marshall at face
      > value they were not saying anything about personality types - but
      > instead were talking about where different kinds of mental processes
      > happened. The idea of left/right brain dominance is just pop-
      > psychology - and is about as useful as astrology.
      >
      > .... erm... ranting aren't I.... sorry!
      >
      > If you want a really dramatic example of how silly the left/right
      > brain thing is - have a google around hemispherectomy - scary... but
      > fascinating stuff :-)
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Adrian

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic