5893Re: [agile-usability] Re: Seeking Input: CreativeCommons ebook argues for extensive "Appli

    Dec 15 12:23 AM
      Hi, Ben.

      I agree completely with the spirit of your post, especially about the
      way a team should work.

      There are a few reasons there's a history in the agile community of
      wanting to include development and release as soon as possible. I think
      the biggest one is as an antidote to the dreaded "fuzzy front end"
      problem, where a substantial portion of available time and money gets
      eaten up by unbounded vision and discussion, often in ways that are
      unproductive or even negatively productive.

      Personally, I'm skeptical of "iteration zero" because I've never seen a
      project that had developers handy where I couldn't immediately extract a
      week's worth of work from the plan. And in the beginning, things are
      generally slow enough to get started that it takes design and product
      management well less than a week of work to find another week of work.

      For example, on a web project, the first card I often do is "user views
      home page". In doing that, the developers will have to agree on
      frameworks and tools, set up a bunch of infrastructure (like version
      control), and do a bunch of other fiddling. Given that they'll be
      spending a lot of time in the early iterations on planning and
      estimating, and throw in a few spikes or research stories, and initial
      productivity is never tremendous. But give that, you've got to start
      sometime, so why not right away?