5872Re: [agile-usability] Article on Design and Agile on A list Apart

  • Adam Sroka
    Dec 2, 2008
      P.S. More to the point: much of the value in working software is that
      is satisfies some business need. What happens if my business has more
      budget for software than it has need?

      On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Ron Jeffries
      > <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      >> Hello, Adam. On Tuesday, December 2, 2008, at 3:37:25 PM, you
      >> wrote:
      >>
      >>> So, what is the value of those projects? Why wouldn't they just become
      >>> Agile and deliver something useful. The reason is that the real value
      >>> of those projects is in their ability to infuse large sums of money
      >>> into a large bureaucracy to fuel it's continued existence. Even if
      >>> they produce nothing they still keep people in jobs and money flowing
      >>> through the economy. If every project had to produce value we would
      >>> soon find that there wasn't enough value to be had to justify all of
      >>> these jobs.
      >>
      >> Huh? Value isn't a finite quantity that projects draw down. Projects
      >> [can] /create/ value.
      >>

      > Yes, but what compels them to do so?
      >
      >> Any project whose sole value is that it is causing people to be paid
      >> would be of more value if it also built something useful.
      >>

      > Can it be that some projects create /sufficient/ value to justify
      > their own existence but not as much value as is /possible/? And, what
      > if a project provides sufficient value (to someone) without providing
      > value in the form of working software?

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic