5871Re: [agile-usability] Article on Design and Agile on A list Apart

  • Adam Sroka
    Dec 2, 2008
      On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Ron Jeffries
      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > Hello, Adam. On Tuesday, December 2, 2008, at 3:37:25 PM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      >> So, what is the value of those projects? Why wouldn't they just become
      >> Agile and deliver something useful. The reason is that the real value
      >> of those projects is in their ability to infuse large sums of money
      >> into a large bureaucracy to fuel it's continued existence. Even if
      >> they produce nothing they still keep people in jobs and money flowing
      >> through the economy. If every project had to produce value we would
      >> soon find that there wasn't enough value to be had to justify all of
      >> these jobs.
      >
      > Huh? Value isn't a finite quantity that projects draw down. Projects
      > [can] /create/ value.

      Yes, but what compels them to do so?

      > Any project whose sole value is that it is causing people to be paid
      > would be of more value if it also built something useful.

      Can it be that some projects create /sufficient/ value to justify
      their own existence but not as much value as is /possible/? And, what
      if a project provides sufficient value (to someone) without providing
      value in the form of working software?
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic