5867Re: [agile-usability] Article on Design and Agile on A list Apart

  • Adam Sroka
    Dec 2, 2008
      Fundamentally, Agile is about delivering business value. The inherent
      assumption is that the most important thing a software team can do is
      deliver working software. Those of us who believe this have taken up
      with the Agile movement and not looked back.

      However, from a macro-economic viewpoint the value in software
      development isn't always delivering working software. Despite all the
      dire predictions about the economy, the US government is still
      spending at unprecedented levels. Hundreds of billions of dollars go
      into government sponsored software projects every year. Yet, more than
      half of those will never deliver working software to an actual user.

      So, what is the value of those projects? Why wouldn't they just become
      Agile and deliver something useful. The reason is that the real value
      of those projects is in their ability to infuse large sums of money
      into a large bureaucracy to fuel it's continued existence. Even if
      they produce nothing they still keep people in jobs and money flowing
      through the economy. If every project had to produce value we would
      soon find that there wasn't enough value to be had to justify all of
      these jobs.

      So, when will Agile arrive? I believe that it already has. So why
      aren't we all doing it? Because the economy overvalues software
      development. Eventually there will come a day when the market will
      value software development services according to the value that they
      produce. Once that is true we will have to produce something valuable
      or find a new line of work. When will this happen? I don't know, but
      it happens in every new market and our day will come.

      On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:29 AM, James Page <jamespage@...> wrote:
      > Would be interesting here peoples views on the article.
      > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/gettingrealaboutagiledesign
      >
      > James

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic