5792Re: from qualitative user testing to quantitative user research

  • Stefan
    Oct 12, 2008
      Jared,

      Have you read 'the usability problem taxonomy'? of Keenan, Hartson, Kafura and
      Schulman? What do you think of using this classification scheme for between-subjects
      studies?

      Stefan

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Jared Spool <jspool@...> wrote:

      > On Oct 1, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Stefan wrote:
      >
      > > I've ordered scent of information and statistics in medicine so i
      > > can some research on the
      > > topic.
      >
      > I hope you won't be disappointed with the Scent of Information report.
      > It doesn't really go into our methodology. That's not why we created it.
      >
      > What you're trying to do is *really* hard and will take huge amounts
      > of preparation and some massively impressive statistics horsepower. I
      > know because we've tried multiple times and only managed to pull it
      > off some of the time.
      >
      > There are scaling and ground issues. Ground issues are about
      > connecting the independent data collection points to a common element,
      > so you can say that these measures are talking about the same thing.
      > Scaling issues are about ensuring that Good/Bad in one scale mean the
      > same as Good/Bad in another scale.
      >
      > This is very heavy duty science you're trying to do. I'm betting, if
      > you want to do it well, it will triple-to-quintuple your research costs.
      >
      > I'm betting that's why you've not found a lot of resources on it. You
      > need a deep pocket to make it really work.
      >
      > Jared
      >
      > Jared M. Spool
      > User Interface Engineering
      > 510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
      > e: jspool@... p: +1 978 327 5561
      > http://uie.com Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic