5769Re: [agile-usability] Re: from qualitative user testing to quantitative user research

  • Jared Spool
    Oct 1, 2008
      On Oct 1, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Stefan wrote:

      > I've ordered scent of information and statistics in medicine so i
      > can some research on the
      > topic.

      I hope you won't be disappointed with the Scent of Information report.
      It doesn't really go into our methodology. That's not why we created it.

      What you're trying to do is *really* hard and will take huge amounts
      of preparation and some massively impressive statistics horsepower. I
      know because we've tried multiple times and only managed to pull it
      off some of the time.

      There are scaling and ground issues. Ground issues are about
      connecting the independent data collection points to a common element,
      so you can say that these measures are talking about the same thing.
      Scaling issues are about ensuring that Good/Bad in one scale mean the
      same as Good/Bad in another scale.

      This is very heavy duty science you're trying to do. I'm betting, if
      you want to do it well, it will triple-to-quintuple your research costs.

      I'm betting that's why you've not found a lot of resources on it. You
      need a deep pocket to make it really work.

      Jared

      Jared M. Spool
      User Interface Engineering
      510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
      e: jspool@... p: +1 978 327 5561
      http://uie.com Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic