500RE: [agile-usability] Re: Could UI Engineering have lead to Wiki?

    Sep 1, 2004

      From: Ron Jeffries [mailto:ronjeffries@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 8:29 AM
      To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [agile-usability] Re: Could UI Engineering have lead to Wiki?

      On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 7:34:50 AM, Petteri Hiisilä wrote:

      > I have to drop out lots of details because of confidentiality issues,
      > but I hope this gave you a picture how you can come up with something
      > like Wiki in a goal-directed process.

      Well, yes, but I programmed a wiki from scratch in about the time it took
      to read about this. :)

      [Jeff P.]

      I haven’t read back up this thread, so I’m coming in late.  I suspect Petteri described how one might design a wiki using goal directed design.  By that I mean “invent” it.  Ron, I suspect you are able to technically design a wiki given a working prototype – like every other wiki you’ve seen before.  The question is could you invent something like a wiki in a few minutes?  If you had to invent something very appropriate for a particular task, as appropriate as a wiki is to its task, how would you go about it?  If you start by thinking about the people who will be using the tool, what their goals are, and how they might best achieve their goals, AND you think about those things before you write you first line of code, you’d be doing design up front, and using a user-centered design approach at that.  Interaction Design, User Centered Design, Product Design isn’t about how you document requirements for developers – it’s how you design/invent those requirements.

      I’d be curious how you’d go about inventing something as appropriate as a wiki?  What steps would you go through to discover what a best solution might be?

      -Jeff

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
        --Inigo Montoya

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic