498RE: [agile-usability] Re: Could UI Engineering have lead to Wiki?

  • Hugh Beyer
    Sep 1, 2004
      From: Petteri Hiisilä [mailto:petteri.hiisila@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 8:48 AM
      To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [agile-usability] Re: Could UI Engineering have lead to Wiki?
      Alain wrote:
      To sum up the points, you shouldn't optimize usability without paying
      attention to implementation simplicity, anymore than you should optimize
      implementation simplicity without paying attention to usability.

      So we need a methodology that allows UI experts and developpers to
      communicate and collaboratively come up with a design that satisfies both
      aspects. That's one of the reasons why I like Contextual Design (in
      particular the agile version that Hugh presented at XPAU 2004). It allows
      the whole team (not just UI experts) to get immersed in customer data and
      collaboratively make rational decisions about what to implement.

      Good, thoughtful views. I must read Hugh's presentation. Is it available online?
      I can probably make it available if that would be useful.

      Also, note that XP envisions a discussion between the Customer (Team) and the developers. Customers don't just toss their stories over the wall and disappear. I would expect the trade-off between implementation effort and utility to be part of that conversation.

          Hugh

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic