4608Re: Inside Steve's Brain

  • Arlen Bankston
    Jun 10, 2008
      One other way to view Agile methods is that they continuously deliver
      "value." While this certainly consists primarily of software, Agile
      approaches have, at this point, been used outside of pure software
      development with a degree of success; from packaged software
      implementations (kissing cousin) to pure business projects (no
      programmers at all).

      "Value" can be:
      - Software that delivers on a portion of our business case
      - Information critical to realizing our business case (prototypes,
      spikes, etc.)

      Agile quite often relies on the software itself to deliver the
      information noted in the second bullet, but sometimes there are
      better/faster ways to get it that don't involve programming. The
      definition of "done" may differ ("the [COTS] company profile should be
      completely configured so that new policies can be entered," or "this
      model of our phone must allow for accurate all-weather testing of
      compound A5"), but you're still focusing on following one path to the
      end before starting down twenty others. Even with concurrent
      set-based design, you're still focusing on completion with minimal
      work-in-process.

      Ron's point is clearly valid regarding Agile Software Development (as
      one of the Manifesto signatories, it's hard to argue with his
      credentials!), and it avoids the slippery slope of defining "value" in
      such a way that it conveniently begins to reflect whatever artifacts
      you were producing before. Where I've seen it done successfully, the
      non-software value is primarily delivered by other Team members (e.g.
      designers), while the developers focus on the software. This allows
      as much exploration as is necessary, so long as there is actual
      development work being steadily delivered to the team.

      Thoughts?

      Arlen

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello, Robert. On Tuesday, June 10, 2008, at 8:03:31 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > >> I meant that Agile Software Development is about software
      > >> development. It begins when the project begins, with software pretty
      > >> much that day. If someone wants to spend time dreaming or designing
      > >> or such prior to authorizing the software project, that is, in my
      > >> opinion, outside Agile.
      >
      > > So I guess this is a similar resolution to another recent discussion
      > > on this list. I can understand the distinction you want to make, but
      > > I don't think it's very helpful, especially on this list.
      >
      > With all due respect, I'm not at all sure that you do understand,
      > not entirely because we don't agree, although that might be playing
      > into it, since I suffer from that disability where one thinks that
      > smart people must ultimately agree. :-)
      >
      > > I understood "software development" to be a broad inclusive term, and
      > > so covered, for example, UI designers: but you seem to be using it
      > > simply to mean "programming". Is that right?
      >
      > No, not just programming. But I do mean the term to refer to the
      > course of actual development of software according to Agile
      > principles.
      >
      > One of the essentials of Agile Software Development is "early and
      > continuous delivery of valuable software." As such, it seems to me
      > that while there might be lots of usability activity going on, and
      > that would be just wonderful, there //must// be software being
      > developed, or it isn't an Agile project at all.
      >
      > Suppose that software is not being written now, but we are doing the
      > envisioning of software, the creation of fantasies about software,
      > imagining software, deciding whether or not to write software or
      > what software to write, or other just plain thinking about software.
      > What is that activity? I'm not sure. But it isn't Agile Software
      > Development because No Software.
      >
      > Mind you, those may be important, even critical activities prior to
      > actually starting the project. It's just that since Developing
      > Software is a sine qua non to doing Agile Software Development,
      > activities like this, in the absence of Developing Software can't
      > possibly be part of an Agile project.
      >
      > Now more to what I take to be our purpose here, these activities
      > certainly are also vitally important /during/ the project.
      >
      > In my opinion, until a team is producing "Done" software at the end
      > of every iteration(*), it cannot claim to be doing "Agile Software
      > Development", or at least cannot claim to be doing it very well.
      >
      > So what might go on before that could be incredibly wonderful and
      > valuable, and it could be a critical precursor to the project, but I
      > don't see how it can be Agile Software Development without ...
      > Software Development.
      >
      > > It seems unreasonable to
      > > me, as UI design work strongly affects the software.
      >
      > Yes, of course UI design work strongly affects the software. No one
> [...]
    • Show all 140 messages in this topic