4107Re: [agile-usability] Re: Online Usability Tests

  • Todd Zaki Warfel
    Mar 19, 2008

      On Mar 19, 2008, at 7:30 PM, William Pietri wrote:
      Neither approach is perfect, but I can't think of a project where I haven't found them both useful.

      Another reason why we typically recommend complimentary methods. Personally, if I had my choice of observing 12 participants in person or 100 people run through an automated remote process, I'd take the 12 in person every single time. In the 15+ years I've been doing this type of research, I've yet to find a pattern identified by survey and remote methods w/100 people that we weren't able to identify with 12 in person.

      The main benefit we get from more quantitative methods is to satisfy the marketing research people who only believe in quantitative methods.

      As always, YMMV (your mileage may vary)

      Cheers!

      Todd Zaki Warfel
      President, Design Researcher
      Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
      Contact Info
      Voice: (215) 825-7423
      Email: todd@...
      In practice, they are not.