3718RE: [agile-usability] Number of Password Fields to use

  • Jade Ohlhauser
    Sep 28, 2007

      My 2 cents: One field.

      Here’s the possibilities with the two field system:

      1.       Password is correct

      2.       Password is incorrect – User is typing correctly but is thinking of the wrong password or does not know the password and is guessing (fields match but are wrong)

      3.       Password is incorrect – User makes a repeatable error due to a problem like caps lock being on (fields match but are wrong)

      4.       Password is incorrect – user knows password but makes a random typing error (fields don’t match)

      You are adding the extra input step for everyone, but only offering the benefit in case 4. And here’s the kicker, you are doubling the chances of a case 4. If the fields are different you don’t know which one, only that they are different and maybe the error was added in the second one. If they don’t match I have to re-enter both again. So I’ve typed that password 4 times instead of twice (assuming it was a random typing problem that was fixed after the first negative feedback)

      But here’s the biggest reason, who gets that benefit? Is it the user or the system. Are you making the user do more work so the system can sometimes do less?

      Assumptions: the password fields obscure the values being entered and the credentials check is effectively instant.

      Jade Ohlhauser
      Product Manager

      RPM Software
      www.rpmsoftware.com 403-475-9485