3617RE: [agile-usability] Personas

  • Brian Weiss
    Jul 31, 2007
      To echo the thread starter: Thanks for all the responses - I'm the only usability person in a company of 10,000+ who custom builds every system and it's nice to read these threads. As I mentioned in an earlier email, we are not a true Agile shop and in fact are alot closer to a lightweight RUP shop. This listserv was closest to any speaking to usability concepts and our software development cycle out there and that's why I joined. I don't usually jump in because of that fact but wanted to add to this conversation and didn't feel the Agile process was necessarily germain. Although I've yet to see a perfect implementation of any theoretical development process...

      To answer several emails: I get it. I understand how to present to teams - been doing it for 10+ years. I know what personas are and how to use them.

      Again though, in the case originally proposed, I've yet to see a Java coder have any impact on a front end because he understands a persona using the interface. Nor has a persona helped him or her code a servlet better. The inputs are the same regardless of the who.
      In a development meeting with developers I would not present personas. With marketing people and other business stakeholders, sure. They can bring a nice rounded context to a wireframe.

      To devs I may speak of UMLish actors, but only in the context of how they interact with the system on a data level as that is all they care about.

      Thanks again for the responses,
      -Brian

      Daniel Szuc <dszuc@...> wrote:
      "A good set of wire frames set in context for the group (i.e. talking about the end user thru the flow) has as much impact to the developers as would talking to personas."

      Suggest this is the right opportunity to develop Personas. So take a small % of the walkthrough time to brainstorm what we know about our users.

      rgds,
      Dan
      Daniel Szuc
      Principal Usability Consultant