3516Re: [agile-usability] Re: versus collocated teams

  • Ron Jeffries
    Jun 5, 2007
      Hello, Owen. On Tuesday, June 5, 2007, at 8:43:28 AM, you wrote:

      >> Please explain clearly how it could be better for the customer to
      >> have you, a long way away, [rather than] someone just as good as
      >> you, right there.

      > I probably can't. I don't have enough experience at managing
      > personalities. I have already outlined three areas where I think
      > there might be a logical benefit in terms of cost reduction,
      > access to a larger pool of resources, and ease of
      > reconfigurability, but these are just assertions. You know they
      > are not backed up with the 'experience' that you have.

      My point is that you, the remote guy, have to be somehow "better"
      than a local guy. If someone you want to work for can find someone
      who is "just as good" as you are, and who wants to be present, it
      seems that such an individual will inherently be more "desirable" to
      someone who is recruiting.

      If that is true, and I believe it is, it should get you thinking in
      a different direction. You appear now to be thinking "Hey, it's just
      as good to be remote," despite the fact that the entire universe
      seems to be aligned against you on the other side of that line.

      Instead, it would seem to me to stop railing against (what I and
      many others perceive to be) reality, and instead start figuring out
      ways to offer things which will not likely be available locally.
      That might be some specialized skills, or just generally high power
      of some kind: I don't know.

      It would be a very tough sale for me. I would frankly prefer someone
      "rather good and local" over someone "very good and far away",
      because I've worked both ways and value the interactions that
      highly. Others might not find it quite such a tough sale, but I'm
      suggesting to you that it will be a sale.

      You are taking something off the table in the negotiation: easy face
      to face access. To make your sale, I think you'll need to put
      something back on the table that your customer will value at least
      that highly.

      > I don't follow Rugby Union: where the term Scrum comes from. However,
      > Allan Jones coached the Australian Rugby team. He isn't a role model of
      > mine. In fact in all ways but one possibly, it appears that he is my
      > antithesis. He lead Australia to successive Bledisloe Cup, Tri Nations,
      > and World Cup victories. Read an unauthorised biography put together
      > about him recently.

      > He had a saying that went something like this: "Play the ball, not the
      > man". I'm not sure that trying to discredit me will win your argument in
      > the long-run...

      I'm not trying to discredit you. I'm trying to help you to observe
      what you are saying and to begin to find ways to get what you want.

      > I'm feeling a bit threatened by your persistent questioning, please
      > forgive me if I have misread the situation.

      That pain you feel might be an indication that you're holding your
      head in the wrong position ...

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      I cannot find my duck.