      From: Desiree Sy <desiree.sy@...>
      To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:16:05 AM
      Subject: [agile-usability] Re: Introducing UX in an agile environment

      In addition to Lynn's paper (which is targeted more at developers with
      no
      background in UX), I've written an article that describes in detail the
      adaptations
      that our UX team at Alias (now Autodesk) made to usability
      investigations such
      as rapid formative usability testing and contextual investigations (both
      in-lab
      and in-field) to make them work with the 2- to 4-week timeboxes (and
      incremental nature) of Agile.

      It's titled "Adapting Usability Investigations for Agile User-centered
      Design"
      and will be published in the upcoming issue of the Journal of Usability
      Studies,
      which is the online journal for UPA.

      This article's intended audience is UX professionals (usability
      professionals
      and interaction or UI designers) who need to conduct iterative usability
      investigations and validations to guide UI design work in an Agile
      environment.

      -Desirée
      Desirée Sy
      Interaction Designer, User Experience Group
      Autodesk Canada, Inc

      --- In agile-usability@ yahoogroups. com, "Elizabeth Whitworth"
      <elizabethwhitworth @...> wrote:

      > Dmitry,
      >
      > Lyn Miller has written some excellent papers on UX/UCD and Agile. e.g.
      Case
      > Study of Customer Input For a Successful Product

      (PDF)<http://agileproduct design.com/ useful_papers/ miller_customer_ input_\
      in_agile_projects. pdf.

      > - elizabeth

      <http://agileproduct design.com/ useful_papers/ miller_customer_ input_in_ ag\
      ile_projects. pdf
      >On
      > 5/2/07, Mark Schraad mschraad@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Dmitry,
      > >
      > > The article library at the agile alliance is a good place to start.
      > >
      > > http://www.agileall iance.org/ library
      > >
      > > I think that if you come at this from a design perspective, you
      might be
      > > disappointed. Most of the material covers processes where design
      research is
      > > non existent, and design as a discipline is minimized (at least by
      my
      > > standards). Instead, the actual design is threaded throughout the
      process.
      > > Most all of the proponents of the agile process are developers - and
      the
      > > decision making resides with developers in this process. I have,
      however.
      > > had some success with threading agile like attributes into a
      traditional

      process. A hybrid of RUP and agile if you will. The iterative
      sprints, scrum
      > > style meetings and overall collaborative team model to name a few.
      > >
      > > There are lots of smart folks on this board that can help. And, they
      will
      > > likely have a different take. Listen to them and decide for yourself
      what
      > > will work in transforming your process in your culture.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >

      > > On May 1, 2007, at 7:58 PM, dmitry wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I've recently started in a new role as the first user experience
      > > designer in a small company practicing an agile development process.
      > > I'm now working on an internal presentation to introduce UX
      principles
      > > within an agile context.
      > >
      > > So far, I've found a number of resources that aim to explain agile

      approaches to usability/design practitioners, but very little along
      > > the lines of explaining UX principles and practices to agile
      > > developers. Does anyone have any pointers they'd be willing to
      share?

      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Dmitry

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.