3254RE: [agile-usability] Re: OT: Managing ToolBar Items, Menu Items and Contextual menu Items

  • Hernandez, Barbara
    Mar 22, 2007

      Having taken the approach of what works / what doesn’t with our own spreadsheet I found the following:

      Including the columns is still good (allows you to better see things like when you have repeated shortcuts, etc). Also beneficial when developing related products so that menu options are the same or similar when appropriate.

      Displaying the menus in a visual way that also represents how they will appear in the interface is also good (like the one below). This example (from a spreadsheet) includes hotkeys and mnemonics as well as displaying what’s at what level in the menu.

      Those that don’t care about the stuff in the columns can “hide” it and concentrate on what they might look like in the app.

      File

      New }

      Project

      Ctrl+N