2783Re: [agile-usability] Agile tools

  • Pete Gordon - Users First Lists
    Dec 29, 2006
      Hi Jon,

      I am working on a very large project ($20MM+) in which Rational Tools (including RAD--was Websphere Studio, ClearCase, ClearQuest, RequsitePro, Rational Rose).  I highly recommend staying away from them, not only because of the cost, but because of the complexity in their use--and the lake of meaningful project information provided.

      I had used ClearCase and ClearQuest previously for some time and found them very good tools, but highly complex in terms of administration.  This large project I am on now, gives me project management visibility and the integrator is using the entire suite of Rational Tools; and I have been very disappointed into the visibility and documentation it provides for the SDLC.  Granted some of my visibility is sometimes limited by the integrator, and part of the reason the management deliverables are not very good may be do to the way the integrator is using the full suite.

      I have been very interested in Team Server since hearing of it a year ago or so, but have not had opportunity to use it as of yet--and as you have pointed out, it is very Microsoft centric (Visual Studio).

      I have been considering building a Requirements Tool to compliment my User Experience Evaluation tool as a plugin to Eclipse, targeting the open-source and Java community.

      Best!
      Pete Gordon
      Users First
      Columbus, Ohio USA

      "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you.  There isn't any other test.  If the machines produces tranquillity it's right.  If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."  -- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

      On Dec 7, 2006, at 12:59 PM, Jon Kern wrote:

      Question, take 2...

      Have any of you worked with/heard of a set of tools for doing
      application life cycle software development that you liked? You know,
      usual soup-to-nuts quest for something to handle *or* support project
      mgt/visibility, release mgt, through to iterative development, testing...

      My preference is jira and confluence, etc., it would work, but company
      is fearful of it being "too" lightweight :-)

      However, we just looked at MKS (completely customizable) and VSTS (of
      course very centered around VS). Both would probably do the job,
      obviously costs $$$.

      I am about to look into Rally this afternoon. Anyone have any insights
      into Rallydev's tools? Also $$$.

      jon
      blog: http://technicaldebt.com

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic