1837Re: {Possible Spam?} [agile-usability] Re: just one bug's enough to make a program useless

  • Brian Marick
    Jan 3, 2006
      On Jan 3, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Jeff Patton wrote:

      > Others already gave answers to the "how do you catch these blind
      > spots?" question. Test. But test doesn't refer to anything
      > automated,
      > or something a tester does to make sure a feature works as designed,
      > but rather observe users actually trying to do the stuff they want to
      > do with the application.

      In shops that use manual testing, whether scripted or exploratory,
      the testers are the people in the shop who use the product most (by a
      huge margin). Often, they're repeating the same workflow over and
      over, with small variations. Inefficiencies in the workflow really
      start to drive you crazy when you hit them again and again and again
      - whether you're a tester or user. Opportunities for improvement leap
      out at you.

      Testers also tend to become expert users, who have a different usage
      profile than novices. It seems to me that most of the people used in
      usability testing are novices (to the new features, at least) and do
      not have chances to become experts. But I've rarely worked on a
      product with the formal role of experience designer.

      I've never seen a case where tester comments on the design were
      intentionally valued. Sometimes testers don't bother. Sometimes they
      put the bugs into the bug tracking system, usually at the "feature
      request" (aka "lowest") level.

      When I've seen tester observations actually become valued, it's been
      because the tester felt comfortable going directly to the designer.
      (In my one experience with that, my relationship to the designer felt
      like the relationships I see between testers and customers/product
      owners/goal donors.)

      Good experience design may have a better way to see what testers see,
      but perhaps testers fit into the Big Picture of Agile UX.

      -----
      Brian Marick, independent consultant
      www.exampler.com, www.testing.com/cgi-bin/blog
      Book in progress: www.exampler.com/book