1836Re: [agile-usability] Re: just one bug's enough to make a program useless

  • Phlip
    Jan 3, 2006
      Jeff Patton wrote:

      > Looking up to Phlip's original post, I was seeing the bug reported as
      > not supporting multiple levels of undo. Then we found there was a
      > history panel - an alternatively named feature that accomplished
      > similar results to undo. It appears all these features performed as
      > the publisher expected - so none of these were bugs. Practices like
      > TDD don't catch things like this.

      Alain implied early feedback from customers does.

      Customer: I undid twice and could not step back through edits.

      Team: That's not a bug it's a feature. (Try the History panel.)

      Customer: Okay, the bug is Undo isn't wired to History.

      Boss: There's a work-around. Ship it.

      End user: I undid twice and could not step back through edits.

      And so on; the feedback cycle engages!

      > * a process or methodology that's concerned with the usability of it's
      > product should include some form of usability testing - that is
      > observation of target users using the product to accomplish real work -
      > not bug detection.

      Naivete is priceless.

      I suspect that the entire GUI industry is one big blind spot, because
      nobody made the leap to X. I don't know what it is either, because we
      are all familiar with windows and mice.

      http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic