Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

1719RE: [agile-usability] RE: norman

Expand Messages
  • Desilets, Alain
    Nov 2, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Message
      then you might see that only 20% of an apps features are used by 90% of the people. 
       
      -- Alain:
      I haven't read that study, but according to Johnson'02, 45% of features were never used, and 19% were rarely used (for a total of 64%). This was a study of rather waterfallish projects, as opposed to agile ones. I don't know what those number would look like for an agile project.
      ---- 

      and yes, the load of crap that companies lug around as "legacy" is reality -- albeit is it a necessary one out of design or is it out of ignorance? even here, though, i submit a valuable addition to something like Word would be the magic customizer slider (that i have invented in my head for years when i was building a very complex, somewhat horrid at times UI in the incarnation of TogetherSoft's ControlCenter UML modeling tool) that would allow features to go from novice to power user in terms of: visibility and depth and degree of user control. 
       
      -- Alain:
      I have heard this idea many times, but I have never seen it implemented. I suspect there might be some pitfalls in terms of the system builder's ability to help and support the user. In other words, it could make it hard to write a good help system when different users employ completely different UIs.
       
      I can see this working if you had say, 3 system-wide settings like beginner, intermediate and advanced. You definitely would not want people to be able to use say, beginner UI in one part of the system and expert UI in another part (do the words "feature interaction" raise the hair at the back of your neck?).
      -----
       
       
      For example, Word could be dramatically simplified by a very small number of features being available by default. 
       
      -- Alain:
      Yes, "less is more" is the one thing where Alan Cooper seems to have gotten it right.
      ----
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic