1250Re: [agile-usability] Re: Choice modeling and Agile?

  • Ron Jeffries
    Jul 4, 2005
      On Monday, July 4, 2005, at 4:16:15 PM, Robin Dymond wrote:

      > That valuation dilemma is exactly the problem I have on one
      > current project. The client has a long list of features for an
      > Intranet, their priorities, and a limited budget. They know the
      > features are valuable to the users, but they don't know how
      > valuable, therefore they don't know how to come up with an ROI.
      > Even if they did come up with an ROI (a valuable exercise for
      > dealing with CFOs) the assumptions in the ROI are WAGs (wild ass
      > guesses). As with most projects, the wish list far exceeds the
      > funding available.

      Well, of course they "should" be able to express the ROI. But I'd
      suggest that it's not "necessary".

      Given two features, if they can decide which one to do first, that's
      often "enough".

      Sometimes folks have trouble doing that. I help them along by
      picking something obviously valuable and something obviously dull.
      (There are always features that qualify.) Then I suggest that we do
      the dull one first, and defer the valuable one for a long time. They
      call me an idiot, and get about the business of deciding what to do
      next.

      > Another project has a very clear ROI: reduce call center calls by
      > X %, and reduce costs per interaction by Y%. These are great
      > metrics to prioritize and build against, because the guidance is
      > clear for everyone. It also gives guidance on budget available and
      > feasibility.

      Yes, it's good when it happens. But there are good things to do,
      even when it doesn't.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      Analysis kills spontaneity.
      The grain once ground into flour germinates no more. -- Henri Amiel
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic