1248Re: [agile-usability] Choice modeling and Agile?

  • Lynn Miller
    Jul 4, 2005
      In the poast we have used choice modeling during the product validation
      stage when we haven't got down to the details yet.

      Once down to the level of features, it often makes sense to use a
      similar but reversed method - you assign dollar values to the features
      and give the users a certain amount to spend.

      The nice thing about this second method is that you can balance the
      development costs of features by price. That is, a huge feature isn't
      given the same weight as a small feature because it costs more. So
      users can pick the big ones that are really important and mix in some of
      the smaller ones. The amount they have to spend depends on your release
      date so this works better with fixed release dates.

      I'm glad to see that you're combining the results with other data
      gathering methods. On its own this method doesn't produce full
      workflows - it just helps you to focus on what is important. And you
      have to have done the work to get the list down to a reasonable size
      before it goes in front of users.

      Lynn Miller

      Jeff Lash wrote:
      > I wanted to see if anyone was using choice modeling in conjunction
      > with Agile development?
      >
      > For those not familiar with it, choice modeling views the value of a
      > product (and the price one is willing to pay for it) as the sum of the
      > features and attributes the product contains. You ask participants not
      > just to rank elements in priority order, but instead to assign dollar
      > values to features based on their importance to the customer. The more
      > dollars assigned to a feature/attribute, the more important it is to
      > the customer.
      >
      > The resulting data can be used not only to understand what is
      > preferred, but how valuable each element is, how much more important
      > certain elements are than others, and potentially how much a customer
      > may be willing to pay for a product with a given set of features and
      > attributes.
      >
      > It's actually much more than that -- there's a good body of
      > statistical, econometric, and business academia work in the field --
      > but that's the simple, practical application of the idea.
      >
      > This seems to be a natural fit with the prioritization of features
      > that goes on for each iteration. I'm trying it out, combining the
      > results of choice modeling and traditional questionnaires (which
      > capture what people say they want) with data gathered during field
      > studies and ethnographic interviews (which captures what people really
      > need, often unspoken), and using all of that to better understand
      > prioritization. It's certainly a "lightweight" approach to choice
      > modeling, but just trying it out on a project, it seems to have
      > yielded some interesting insights.
      >
      > So, I wanted to see if anyone has tried anything similar, or has any
      > thoughts on this approach.
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > jeff@...
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic