1246Re: Choice modeling and Agile?

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Jul 2, 2005
      I've tried, but can't find anyone who can come up with the numbers.
      How do you get those detailed number?
      Alistair

      In a message dated 7/2/2005 9:02:02 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, agile-usability@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Subject: Choice modeling and Agile?

      I wanted to see if anyone was using choice modeling in conjunction
      with Agile development?

      For those not familiar with it, choice modeling views the value of a
      product (and the price one is willing to pay for it) as the sum of the
      features and attributes the product contains. You ask participants not
      just to rank elements in priority order, but instead to assign dollar
      values to features based on their importance to the customer. The more
      dollars assigned to a feature/attribute, the more important it is to
      the customer.

      The resulting data can be used not only to understand what is
      preferred, but how valuable each element is, how much more important
      certain elements are than others, and potentially how much a customer
      may be willing to pay for a product with a given set of features and
      attributes.

      It's actually much more than that -- there's a good body of
      statistical, econometric, and business academia work in the field --
      but that's the simple, practical application of the idea.

      This seems to be a natural fit with the prioritization of features
      that goes on for each iteration. I'm trying it out, combining the
      results of choice modeling and traditional questionnaires (which
      capture what people say they want) with data gathered during field
      studies and ethnographic interviews (which captures what people really
      need, often unspoken), and using all of that to better understand
      prioritization. It's certainly a "lightweight" approach to choice
      modeling, but just trying it out on a project, it seems to have
      yielded some interesting insights.

      So, I wanted to see if anyone has tried anything similar, or has any
      thoughts on this approach.

      Jeff

      Alistair Cockburn
      President, Humans and Technology

      801.582.3162
      1814 Ft Douglas Cir,
      Salt Lake City, UT 84103
      http://alistair.cockburn.us/
      acockburn@...

      "Surviving Object-Oriented Projects" (1998)
      "Writing Effective Use Cases" (Jolt Productivity Award 2001)
      "Agile Software Development" (Jolt Productivity Award 2002)
      "Crystal Clear: A Human-Powered Methodology for Small Teams" (Jolt Award Finalist 2004)

      "The first thing to build is trust." (Brad Appleton)