1181Re: zooming, porpoising, and goal level

    May 5, 2005
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Rob Keefer <rbkeefer@y...>
      wrote:
      > I'd like to take Hugh's analogy to the painter a step
      further. 'Master' painters will work out the intricate details of a
      painting in a sketchbook. (XPers call this a spike solution.) Once
      they have figured out the detail, it is then applied to the main
      composition.

      Yeah - that's what I mean. I believe that in practice I see a fair
      bit of elaboration and playing with details, then zooming back out to
      abstract.

      Ironically Hugh gave an example in another post of support people
      reporting they spend a large percentage of their time on
      troubleshooting when in actuality his group had observed otherwise.
      The implication is that people aren't good at self reporting. Is it
      possible that when we ask designers what they're doing and they give
      this painting metaphor that they're not self reporting accurately? ;-)

      Glad you posted that Rob.