1168Re: [agile-usability] Re: elite methods

  • Ron Jeffries
    May 5, 2005
      On Wednesday, May 4, 2005, at 11:03:39 PM, Jon Kern wrote:

      > i think in some sense, agile methods are paired with requiring competent, top-notch people
      > because

      > 1) It is easy to follow a rigorous, multi-step process like an automaton, churning out
      > documents at each step, not worrying if it is helping get to
      > the end goal or not. Hence, Larry
      > Constantine's statement is true:
      >     IF you don't use an agile method, THEN you don't
      >   need competent and experienced people.
      > People can hide incompetence behind voluminous process. It is
      > also found in droves in the whole
      > Mgt By Objectives (MBO) bull-crap.

      > In these sorts of organizations/teams/processes, it is easy to mistake activity for progress.

      > 2) It is harder to do agile properly because it takes wisdom and experience to make proper
      > (apparent) guesses about what is "enough" It takes guts to
      > demand frequent, tangible, working
      > results to show application feature progress (or lack thereof).

      When talking about optimizing code, some wise person once said "If
      it doesn't have to work, I can make it as fast as you want."

      The two ideas above remind me of that. What Larry Constantine
      /should/ have said is

      if you don't use an agile method
      AND YOU DON'T CARE IF YOU GET THE SOFTWARE
      then you don't need competent and experienced people.

      Heavy processes may hide incompetence, but they do not correct it.
      In the end, with incompetent people, the software won't show up on
      time, on budget, fit for purpose.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future. -- Niels Bohr
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic