1037Re: user centered design overlaps with traditional analysis?

    Feb 10, 2005
      I'm just catching up with this list [and the rest of my life for that
      matter...]

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Josh Seiden <joshseiden@y...>
      wrote:
      > This team has been very detail oriented, so the specs
      > represent a documentation of every possible thing that
      > could ever happen. (What if a fire alarm sounds while
      > the user is eating a low-fat tuna sandwich while
      > entering this data? Is that different from the case in
      > which the tuna sandwich is made with regular tuna
      > salad?")

      These are the failure conditions I hear Alistair Cockburn harp about
      frequently... and he's winning me over. Doing design work often has
      me focusing on the most probable "happy path" and paying a bit less
      attention to failure conditions. Alistair asserts that use cases
      force consideration of those failure conditions sooner. And,
      supporting what he's saying I've seen lots of nasty stuff that causes
      delays in development bubble out of the failure conditions. But,
      often that nasty stuff only slightly affects UI design or user
      interactions.

      Is it safe to assume that fire-alarm-with-low-fat-tuna-salad was a
      failure condition on a use case? Did you have use cases to work
      from, and did you find that the usecases documented basic user
      interaction reasonably - in a way useful for your design work?