1021Re: user centered design overlaps with traditional analysis?

    Feb 3, 2005
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Kay Burnett
      <kayburnett2002@y...> wrote:
      <snip>
      ...with in the course of their use of the product. IME, the
      traditional analyst assumes a product and wants to start by defining
      features and functions which makes me uncomfortable until I can know
      something about the people involved. Once the effort gets underway,
      there is overlap in the analysis of available information. It is just
      that the starting places are different -- and this, in the long run,
      is a BIG difference.
      </snip>

      That "starting by describing the features and functions of the
      product" thing is the part that makes me nervous for a couple
      reasons. I've observed that among folks engaged in analyst type
      activities that the idea of looking back and doing some work to
      understand the users of the system and their goals is usually thought
      of as adding more work onto their already full plate. But what
      concerns me more, is the plate is full describing, in too much
      detail, a hypothetical piece of software - described without
      understanding of how and why it would be used.

      But, I'm venting. I'm hoping it only seems that way to me. I'm
      hoping there are activities that analysts are engaged in that overlap
      with the type of user info gathering done by some UCD approach. If I
      could identify those, place emphasis on them, and combine them with
      some UCD techniques, I think we'd all come out ahead.

      thanks Kay for your post!