RE: [agile-testing] Configuration testing

  • James Bach
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      > > > Are you doing pairwise combinations or all combinations? The lore
      > > > seems to be that pairwise is enough, though I'm not up enough on
      > > > configuration testing to say that with any certainty.
      > >
      > >And I'm no expert on configuration testing either, but we
      > have seen the
      > >most value
      > >in pairwise combinations. Initially we tested all
      > combinations, but as the
      > >permutations increased and we gained confidence that pairwise was
      > >sufficient, then
      > >we adjusted. We still test all combinations from time to
      > time if there's
      > >a fear
      > >that a new feature will break, and then learn from that
      > experience. It's a
      > >constant game of cost-benefit analysis, and we've made
      > mistakes along the way.
      > >
      > >Mike

      I wrote an all-pairs coverage test case generation tool, which you can
      download at http://www.satisfice.com/tools/pairs.zip. Given a table of
      variables and values, it tries to find the smallest set of test cases
      that pair each value of each variable at least once. An example is
      included that shows how a print configuration test suite that would
      require 36,864,000 cases to cover for all combinations can achieve
      all-pairs coverage in 35 cases.

      -- James
    • Mike Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
        James Bach wrote:

        > I wrote an all-pairs coverage test case generation tool, which you can
        > download at http://www.satisfice.com/tools/pairs.zip. Given a table of
        > variables and values, it tries to find the smallest set of test cases
        > that pair each value of each variable at least once. An example is
        > included that shows how a print configuration test suite that would
        > require 36,864,000 cases to cover for all combinations can achieve
        > all-pairs coverage in 35 cases.

        Very handy, indeed! Thanks, James!

        Mike

        --