Re: [agile-testing] Automated Acceptance Tests - Theoretical or Practical

  • Brian Marick
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 17, 2009
      People keep taking way too seriously what I thought I was careful to
      label as a hypothesis. I still think it's a not-absurd hypothesis, but
      that's all it is.

      -----
      Brian Marick, independent consultant
      www.exampler.com, www.exampler.com/blog, www.twitter.com/marick
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 25, 2009
        Steven Gordon wrote:
        > I think the miscommunication here may be that:
        > - George is talking only about how to make sure what used to work
        > still works the way it used to work after new features have been
        > added,
        > - Matt is including discovering previously undiscovered defects in
        > what used to work after new features have been added.
        >
        > I agree with I think George is saying - that the main focus of manual
        > and exploratory testing should be related to new features, and that
        > sufficient test automation to make sure the older features still work
        > the way they did facilitates this focus.
        >
        > Am I misunderstanding anybody's position or misstating the key differentiator?

        Steve, with a slight addition, that's pretty much what I'm saying. I've
        also found that test automation for the expected behavior of new
        features is also very helpful, especially if done before or in parallel
        with the development of the feature.

        I find a lot of testers find it hard to conceive of writing such a test
        before completion of the feature. And I sympathize with that. Before I
        learned to do TDD, I found it hard to conceive of writing a unit test
        before writing the code it tested. Now, I get uncomfortable when I work
        any other way.

        - George