Re: Top Ten Reasons To Love Agile Testing

  • utahkay
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
      Here's my final top ten list, with responses from this list, twitter, and coworkers. Thanks for all your contributions!

      Top Ten Reasons I Love Agile Testing:

      10. No more manual test scripts!

      9. I don't have to work in a cubicle.

      8. I'm allowed to think about stuff and learn stuff.

      7. Developers don't hide when they see me coming!

      6. I investigate and solve complicated, interesting problems every day - and they pay me to do this!

      5. I can impact quality, instead of just documenting it.

      4. Customers actually like the product.

      3. No more death marches!

      2. There's always time for testing, because testing happens first.

      And the number one reason I love agile testing...

      1. I get to hear people say "this is the best project I've ever worked on in my life!"

      -Kay

      --- In agile-testing@yahoogroups.com, "utahkay" <utahkay@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm looking for your comments (the more entertaining, the better) as to why you love Agile testing (as opposed to non-Agile testing, I suppose).
      >
      > I'm giving a talk soon at Agile Roots, and realized my talk could be more upbeat. I remembered that I do love Agile testing, and thought perhaps I could communicate that in an entertaining way.
      >
      > * No more manual test scripts!
      > * Developers actually *like* me!
      > * Now I can break features before they're written!
      > * ... What do you love about Agile testing?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -Kay

    • Janet Gregory
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
        Excellent Kay,

        Thanks - I've been waiting to see what the results were. And I agree with #1.  I used to hear people say "have you ever worked on the perfect project"... as if there could only one in your lifetime, and I don't hear that anymore (or as much) because we get them every day.

        Janet

        Here's my final top ten list, with responses from this list, twitter, and coworkers. Thanks for all your contributions!

        Top Ten Reasons I Love Agile Testing:

        10. No more manual test scripts!

        9. I don't have to work in a cubicle.

        8. I'm allowed to think about stuff and learn stuff.

        7. Developers don't hide when they see me coming!

        6. I investigate and solve complicated, interesting problems every day - and they pay me to do this!

        5. I can impact quality, instead of just documenting it.

        4. Customers actually like the product.

        3. No more death marches!

        2. There's always time for testing, because testing happens first.

        And the number one reason I love agile testing...

        1. I get to hear people say "this is the best project I've ever worked on in my life!"

        -Kay

        --- In agile-testing@ yahoogroups. com, "utahkay" <utahkay@... > wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm looking for your comments (the more entertaining, the better) as to
        why you love Agile testing (as opposed to non-Agile testing, I suppose).

        > I'm giving a talk soon at Agile Roots, and realized my talk could be
        more upbeat. I remembered that I do love Agile testing, and thought perhaps I could communicate that in an entertaining way.

        > * No more manual
        test scripts!
        > * Developers actually *like* me!
        > * Now I can break
        features before they're written!
        > * ... What do you love about Agile
        testing?

        > Thanks,
        > -Kay

      • Lisa Crispin
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
          I love it!!!

          --
          Lisa Crispin
          Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)

        • Mark Levison
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
            I had some fun yesterday and summarized this conversation for InfoQ: http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/06/love_agile_testing

            --
            Lisa Crispin
            Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)
            http://lisacrispin.com

            Mark Levison - Agile/Lean Transition Coach ||Agile Editor @ InfoQ ||
            613-862-2538 (cell) || Twitter || Blog Recent Entries:
            Acceptance Test Tools for Web Apps || Do You Suspect You Have a Less than Productive Person on Your Team?
          • Lisa Crispin
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
              Very cool, thanks! It's a great list!

              --
              Lisa Crispin
              Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)
              http://lisacrispin.com

              Mark Levison - Agile/Lean Transition Coach ||Agile Editor @ InfoQ ||
              613-862-2538 (cell) || Twitter || Blog Recent Entries:
              Acceptance Test Tools for Web Apps || Do You Suspect You Have a Less than Productive Person on Your Team?

              --
              Lisa Crispin
              Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)
              http://lisacrispin.com

            • adam_peter.knight
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
                Lucky number 7 , I like it.

                Seriously though I look at a list like this and it just reminds me how much benefit there is for testers working in this way. I enjoy the fact that continous improvement is encouraged with agile methods, which allows us to contructively criticise the way that we do things on a regular basis. It is, however, sometimes good just to see what benefits we have achieved by striving to adopt these methods and this list is a great way of doing that.

                Adam Knight
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/adampknight