Re: Top Ten Reasons To Love Agile Testing

  • adam_peter.knight
    Message 1 of 19 , May 22, 2009
      It is a great excuse to constantly review your test practices and investigate and adopt new techniques and technologies to support the testing effort. Waterfall processes can survive leaning heavily on manual testing and inefficient processes, this is not the case with Agile. It is extremely satisfying seeing a set of tests that would have taken 5 days to run manually belting through in 30 minutes and knowing that in the process of saving yourself all that time you also learned new skills in the process.

      Adam Knight
      ----------------------------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/adampknight
      ----------------------------

      --- In agile-testing@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Crispin <lisa.crispin@...> wrote:

      > "I actually get to *fix* the bug sometimes, and nobody yells at me!"
      >
      > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:33 PM, utahkay utahkay@... wrote:
      >

      > > * Getting automated test results multiple times a day is fun!
      > >

      > > --- In agile-testing@yahoogroups.com <agile-testing%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "utahkay" utahkay@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > I'm looking for your comments (the more entertaining, the better) as to
      > > why you love Agile testing (as opposed to non-Agile testing, I suppose).
      > > >
      > > > I'm giving a talk soon at Agile Roots, and realized my talk could be more
      > > upbeat. I remembered that I do love Agile testing, and thought perhaps I
      > > could communicate that in an entertaining way.
      > > >
      > > > * No more manual test scripts!
      > > > * Developers actually *like* me!
      > > > * Now I can break features before they're written!
      > > > * ... What do you love about Agile testing?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > -Kay
      > > >

      > --
      > Lisa Crispin
      > Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers
      > and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)
      > http://lisacrispin.com

    • Josue Barbosa dos Santos
      Message 2 of 19 , May 22, 2009
        I love that they can´t tell you to not test. The tests are done first!

        Explaining:

        When I arrived to my current job (government employee) the practice was to test in the end. Well, almost all the time the project reached the deadline with not all features implemented and with no test phase. Even so, the public administrators resolve to release the software with no test phase. they say: "the users will test it". Sad but true.

        So I´ve heard about the XP practices.I´d loved all but especially TDD(1) followed for ATDD. I thought "if I apply this techniques at least i will guarantee that some tests are done because there is not distinct phase between  tests and coding." And then, when was time to deliver, at least some kind of test (ATDD and TDD) was already done. They can´t say to not do the test phase.

        Of course it was not so that easy. Some managers thought that the automated tests were slowing down the development: more code to write, more code to maintain (It is was a guess, If they don´t do test that was easy, you think that they are collecting metrics?).  They asked me to stop build the automated tests. I said that I will not do what they wanted. If ATDD and TDD be withdrawn from the project, I would too.

        You may be thinking that I am a courage man to take this position. Well, I think I have this one but some other thing also helped. Here (Brazil) if you are a public employee, you can´t be fired. Well, there cases that you can, but you have to planning some nuclear attack or something like that. They can put you very far away from your home. But you still have your job. :)

        Today almost all bosses see the value added by automated tests. No fear to change and improve the code; Less dependency on team members (if a new guy change the code, run the tests and see if it didn´t break anything), etc. And I was recently promoted to something like manager of improvements (research new technologies/methodologies/practices, propose process improvements etc.)

        We still don´t do simple things like exploratory test and other obvious things, but I will try to change this situation.

        Finally, I love agile testing for several others reasons. But this one is the only that I can put in a funny way. Hum... Is it in a funny way? :)

        Abraços,

        Josué.

        PS - This is my first post in agile testing list. Be aware with my English. Folks from TDD list already know that. :)

        (1) I know that TDD in not a test practice, it is a design practice but in this context I am considering the test aspect.

        On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:41 PM, utahkay <utahkay@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        I'm looking for your comments (the more entertaining, the better) as to why you love Agile testing (as opposed to non-Agile testing, I suppose).

        I'm giving a talk soon at Agile Roots, and realized my talk could be more upbeat. I remembered that I do love Agile testing, and thought perhaps I could communicate that in an entertaining way.

        * No more manual test scripts!
        * Developers actually *like* me!
        * Now I can break features before they're written!
        * ... What do you love about Agile testing?

        Thanks,
        -Kay

      • James Martin
        Message 3 of 19 , May 24, 2009
          For me, agile extends and enhances the reasons I love testing in general:

          I love investigating and solving complicated, interesting problems that don't have a single correct solution.

          As a developer on a traditional team, I may get to do that quite often. As a tester on a traditional team I may get to do it sometimes. On an agile team, everyone gets to do that, constantly. There's the Joy!

          Thanks,
          James.

          On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:41 AM, utahkay <utahkay@...> wrote:
          Hi all,

          I'm looking for your comments (the more entertaining, the better) as to why you love Agile testing (as opposed to non-Agile testing, I suppose).

          I'm giving a talk soon at Agile Roots, and realized my talk could be more upbeat. I remembered that I do love Agile testing, and thought perhaps I could communicate that in an entertaining way.

          * No more manual test scripts!
          * Developers actually *like* me!
          * Now I can break features before they're written!
          * ... What do you love about Agile testing?

          Thanks,
          -Kay

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             mailto:agile-testing-digest@yahoogroups.com
             mailto:agile-testing-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Lisa Crispin

            Message 5 of 19 , May 25, 2009
              On 22 May 2009, at 18:41, utahkay wrote:
              [snip]
              > * ... What do you love about Agile testing?
              [snip]

              I spend much, much less time debugging - because I get feedback almost
              as soon as I've made a mistake - so it's usually trivial to find and
              fix.

              Adrian
              --
              delicious.com/adrianh - twitter.com/adrianh - adrianh@...
            • John Overbaugh
              Message 6 of 19 , May 27, 2009
                The team-oriented atmosphere, the rapid feedback cycle, and the chance to actually impact quality instead of just documenting it!

                On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

                On 22 May 2009, at 18:41, utahkay wrote:
                [snip]

                > * ... What do you love about Agile testing?
                [snip]

                I spend much, much less time debugging - because I get feedback almost
                as soon as I've made a mistake - so it's usually trivial to find and
                fix.

                Adrian
                --
                delicious.com/adrianh - twitter.com/adrianh - adrianh@...

                --
                John Overbaugh
                blog: http://thoughtsonqa.blogspot.com
              • utahkay
                Message 7 of 19 , May 29, 2009
                  I love it! Adrian's debugging comment and John's remembrance of "just documenting quality" gave me a scary flashback to the bad old days.

                  I realized that now we have: No More Death Marches!!

                  -Kay

                  --- In agile-testing@yahoogroups.com, John Overbaugh <john.overbaugh@...> wrote:

                  > The team-oriented atmosphere, the rapid feedback cycle, and the chance to
                  > actually impact quality instead of just documenting it!
                  >
                  > On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>wrote:
                  >

                  > > On 22 May 2009, at 18:41, utahkay wrote:
                  > > [snip]
                  > >
                  > > > * ... What do you love about Agile testing?
                  > > [snip]
                  > >
                  > > I spend much, much less time debugging - because I get feedback almost
                  > > as soon as I've made a mistake - so it's usually trivial to find and
                  > > fix.
                  > >
                  > > Adrian
                  > > --
                  > > delicious.com/adrianh - twitter.com/adrianh - adrianh@...<adrianh%40quietstars.com>
                  > >

                  > --
                  > John Overbaugh
                  > blog: http://thoughtsonqa.blogspot.com

                • Manuel MOLINIER
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 29, 2009
                    I don't have to choose between 2 jobs or career paths that I like: development & testing.
                    I do both.

                    Manuel

                    On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM, utahkay <utahkay@...> wrote:

                    I love it! Adrian's debugging comment and John's remembrance of "just documenting quality" gave me a scary flashback to the bad old days.

                    I realized that now we have: No More Death Marches!!

                    -Kay

                    --- In agile-testing@yahoogroups.com, John Overbaugh <john.overbaugh@...> wrote:

                    > The team-oriented atmosphere, the rapid feedback cycle, and the chance to
                    > actually impact quality instead of just documenting it!
                    >
                    > On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>wrote:

                    > > On 22 May 2009, at 18:41, utahkay wrote:
                    > > [snip]
                    > >
                    > > > * ... What do you love about Agile testing?
                    > > [snip]
                    > >
                    > > I spend much, much less time debugging - because I get feedback almost
                    > > as soon as I've made a mistake - so it's usually trivial to find and
                    > > fix.
                    > >
                    > > Adrian
                    > > --
                    > > delicious.com/adrianh - twitter.com/adrianh - adrianh@...<adrianh%40quietstars.com>

                    > --
                    > John Overbaugh
                    > blog: http://thoughtsonqa.blogspot.com

                  • Phlip
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 29, 2009
                      Manuel MOLINIER wrote:

                      > I don't have to choose between 2 jobs or career paths that I like:
                      > development & testing.
                      > I do both.

                      Less of endlessly cleaning up all the time.

                      More of preventing bugs before they even happen.

                      Prevention is better than a cure!

                      --
                      Dr Phlip
                    • utahkay
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                        Here's my final top ten list, with responses from this list, twitter, and coworkers. Thanks for all your contributions!

                        Top Ten Reasons I Love Agile Testing:

                        10. No more manual test scripts!

                        9. I don't have to work in a cubicle.

                        8. I'm allowed to think about stuff and learn stuff.

                        7. Developers don't hide when they see me coming!

                        6. I investigate and solve complicated, interesting problems every day - and they pay me to do this!

                        5. I can impact quality, instead of just documenting it.

                        4. Customers actually like the product.

                        3. No more death marches!

                        2. There's always time for testing, because testing happens first.

                        And the number one reason I love agile testing...

                        1. I get to hear people say "this is the best project I've ever worked on in my life!"

                        -Kay

                        --- In agile-testing@yahoogroups.com, "utahkay" <utahkay@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > I'm looking for your comments (the more entertaining, the better) as to why you love Agile testing (as opposed to non-Agile testing, I suppose).
                        >
                        > I'm giving a talk soon at Agile Roots, and realized my talk could be more upbeat. I remembered that I do love Agile testing, and thought perhaps I could communicate that in an entertaining way.
                        >
                        > * No more manual test scripts!
                        > * Developers actually *like* me!
                        > * Now I can break features before they're written!
                        > * ... What do you love about Agile testing?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > -Kay

                      • Janet Gregory
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                          Excellent Kay,

                          Thanks - I've been waiting to see what the results were. And I agree with #1.  I used to hear people say "have you ever worked on the perfect project"... as if there could only one in your lifetime, and I don't hear that anymore (or as much) because we get them every day.

                          Janet

                          Here's my final top ten list, with responses from this list, twitter, and coworkers. Thanks for all your contributions!

                          Top Ten Reasons I Love Agile Testing:

                          10. No more manual test scripts!

                          9. I don't have to work in a cubicle.

                          8. I'm allowed to think about stuff and learn stuff.

                          7. Developers don't hide when they see me coming!

                          6. I investigate and solve complicated, interesting problems every day - and they pay me to do this!

                          5. I can impact quality, instead of just documenting it.

                          4. Customers actually like the product.

                          3. No more death marches!

                          2. There's always time for testing, because testing happens first.

                          And the number one reason I love agile testing...

                          1. I get to hear people say "this is the best project I've ever worked on in my life!"

                          -Kay

                          --- In agile-testing@ yahoogroups. com, "utahkay" <utahkay@... > wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > I'm looking for your comments (the more entertaining, the better) as to
                          why you love Agile testing (as opposed to non-Agile testing, I suppose).

                          > I'm giving a talk soon at Agile Roots, and realized my talk could be
                          more upbeat. I remembered that I do love Agile testing, and thought perhaps I could communicate that in an entertaining way.

                          > * No more manual
                          test scripts!
                          > * Developers actually *like* me!
                          > * Now I can break
                          features before they're written!
                          > * ... What do you love about Agile
                          testing?

                          > Thanks,
                          > -Kay

                        • Lisa Crispin
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                            I love it!!!

                            --
                            Lisa Crispin
                            Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)
                            http://lisacrispin.com

                          • Mark Levison
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
                              I had some fun yesterday and summarized this conversation for InfoQ: http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/06/love_agile_testing

                              --
                              Lisa Crispin
                              Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)
                              http://lisacrispin.com

                              Mark Levison - Agile/Lean Transition Coach ||Agile Editor @ InfoQ ||
                              613-862-2538 (cell) || Twitter || Blog Recent Entries:
                              Acceptance Test Tools for Web Apps || Do You Suspect You Have a Less than Productive Person on Your Team?
                            • Lisa Crispin
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
                                Very cool, thanks! It's a great list!

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
                                  Lucky number 7 , I like it.

                                  Seriously though I look at a list like this and it just reminds me how much benefit there is for testers working in this way. I enjoy the fact that continous improvement is encouraged with agile methods, which allows us to contructively criticise the way that we do things on a regular basis. It is, however, sometimes good just to see what benefits we have achieved by striving to adopt these methods and this list is a great way of doing that.