Announcement: RSSCalendar.com BETA

  • John Pacchetti
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2004
      I've been a fan of RSS for quite a while, however I could never find a
      service that allowed you to share calendar feeds with your family or
      friends. So I built one - this was a fun project. I've recently launched the
      site in BETA and would appreciate any feedback on the service. Thanks!

      It's located at www.rsscalendar.com

      With best regards,
      John Pacchetti

      -------------------------------------

      RSSCalendar
      E-mail: john@...
      http://www.rsscalendar.com

      -------------------------------------
    • Phil Ringnalda
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:51:36 -0500, John Pacchetti <jpac@...> wrote:
        > I've recently launched the
        > site in BETA and would appreciate any feedback on the service. Thanks!
        >
        > It's located at www.rsscalendar.com

        rss/channel/lastBuildDate has a time in the user's timezone, but says
        it's in GMT.

        I don't have Outlook, so I can't nitpick how importing works, but I'm
        a little concerned by seeing an import link with a warning in
        <description>, but the same link in <link> where it will be presented
        without warning. I'd rather see <link>'s target be an HTML page that
        repeats the <item> - it's no less private, but more shareable and
        works with people's expectations for <link>.

        Event adding nits: if I'm looking at August 2nd, having clicked the 2
        on the monthly calendar, I expect Add Event to add one on that day,
        but it adds on August 1st instead; it's possible to add an event that
        ends before it starts, which is more likely to be an AM/PM error than
        an intentional reversal of time's arrow (much as I'd like to have
        meetings with "Duration: -1.0 hrs"

        Nits aside, looks pretty cool!

        Phil Ringnalda
      • John Pacchetti
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
          Phil ,

          Thank you for the suggestions.

          Last Build Date is generated dynamically off the webserver date and then
          converted to GMT using another function. However I placed more emphasis on
          the pubDates since they drive the calendar events. They are converted to GMT
          for the creators location so they should always reflect the proper local
          date and time - then converted back to your local time - provided your
          outlook, reader, or aggregator converts back to local time for you. So if
          you are Pacific Time and schedule an online event for 1pm - it will
          automatically show 3pm on the feed for me in Minnesota. I believe this is
          how it should be indicated but would be open to any other suggestions.

          Great idea about the Main Title Link and importing. Since you are not able
          to add title/tooltip tag from HTML in the <title><link> - I am going to take
          your suggestion and link out the Main Title to another web page that again
          displays full calendar information - and a "Import Link" with message (would
          rather it be labeled as advice than warning).

          I will change the page for adding an event - if you are looking at the 2nd
          and then add an event, it will populate that automatically (our company
          calendar I built that way - must be losing it :). I will also put some error
          checking so the duration doesn't go negative. I like you would like to
          attend one of those.

          Thanks again!

          R/
          John

          > site in BETA and would appreciate any feedback on the service. Thanks!
          >
          > It's located at www.rsscalendar.com

          rss/channel/lastBuildDate has a time in the user's timezone, but says
          it's in GMT.

          I don't have Outlook, so I can't nitpick how importing works, but I'm
          a little concerned by seeing an import link with a warning in
          <description>, but the same link in <link> where it will be presented
          without warning. I'd rather see <link>'s target be an HTML page that
          repeats the <item> - it's no less private, but more shareable and
          works with people's expectations for <link>.

          Event adding nits: if I'm looking at August 2nd, having clicked the 2
          on the monthly calendar, I expect Add Event to add one on that day,
          but it adds on August 1st instead; it's possible to add an event that
          ends before it starts, which is more likely to be an AM/PM error than
          an intentional reversal of time's arrow (much as I'd like to have
          meetings with "Duration: -1.0 hrs"

          Nits aside, looks pretty cool!

          Phil Ringnalda

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Phil Ringnalda
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
            On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:10:32 -0500, John Pacchetti <jpac@...> wrote:
            > Last Build Date is generated dynamically off the webserver date and then
            > converted to GMT using another function.

            I might not have explained that problem well enough: the other
            function isn't working. It's 20:18 Pacific right now, and I'm looking
            at a feed that says its lastBuildDate is "Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:18:16
            GMT", which is, what, 7 hours ago? It's actually 03:18 GMT Monday now.
            I doubt that many aggregators actually base what they do on the
            lastBuildDate, but it's not worth risking it, is it?

            Phil Ringnalda
          • John Pacchetti
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
              Phil - I gotcha now. I just changed the format so it takes local webserver
              time plus a correction to get a starting GMT - then I use the function to
              fomart it. I should look right now. Thanks for clarifying - I really
              appreciate it!!

              R/
              John