Game Balance

  • teamfumble
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 20, 2007
      As the game has been going for a while how do players think the balance
      works?

      Does anyone have the impression that some realms are favoured over
      others?
    • Greg Stafford
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 20, 2007
        --- teamfumble <colm.mcquilkin@...> wrote:

        > As the game has been going for a while how do
        > players think the balance
        > works?
        >
        > Does anyone have the impression that some realms are
        > favoured over
        > others?

        For starters, I think that it's obvious the Latins
        have the worst spot in the game. They are weak in
        resources, have many provinces to defend, and are
        surrounded by foes.

        Of course, the corner spots have the advantages of no
        foe o their rear, but think they begin weaker, too,
        don't they?

      • dave vranch
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 21, 2007
          would it be possibile for me to play in the coming weeks ?
          as would like to give it a go .and where would i find the rules /tips for the game.
          happy gaming H..
          teamfumble <colm.mcquilkin@...> wrote:
          As the game has been going for a while how do players think the balance
          works?

          Does anyone have the impression that some realms are favoured over
          others?

        • stork1656
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 22, 2007
            Hello Dave:

            "You are welcome to look over the game, and join up as the ruler
            of a realm" The website is located at:
            http://lordsofconquest.com/ageofconquest/

            The rules will arrive with the "Diploware" down load or, can also be
            found in our "Links" section... there to the left in the blue box.
            Good luck to you.

            dave vranch <carthage200bc@...> wrote:
            would it be possibile for me to play in the coming weeks ?
          • denis_podlipsky
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 23, 2007
              Well, I played for Thrace and Hellespont. And both times I blamed gods
              for their choise. I didn't like Thrace and Hellespont weak ships,
              first of all; but if Thrace has perfect mounted units (companions),
              then Hellespont has completely nothing to be proud of.
              Yet both times I managed to expand significantly (Thrace was minor
              victor in an3 game).
              The reason I believe is that the game is not just wargame and
              diplomacy makes wonders here. It is always better to have a couple of
              reliable and stalwart allies even if your geographical position is
              open for invasion and your units are of poor fighting abilities, then
              to have bunch of perfect soldiers surrounded by foes (never seen one
              realm could survive against 2-3 rivals).
              That is it. It is you who make balance of the game, not your starting
              position.

              Denizzz

              --- In ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com, "teamfumble"
              <colm.mcquilkin@...> wrote:

              > As the game has been going for a while how do players think the
              balance
              > works?
              >
              > Does anyone have the impression that some realms are favoured over
              > others?

            • thecarthaginian
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 23, 2007
                --- In ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com, Greg Stafford <glorantha1@...>
                wrote:

                > --- teamfumble <colm.mcquilkin@...> wrote:
                >
                > > As the game has been going for a while how do
                > > players think the balance
                > > works?
                > >
                > > Does anyone have the impression that some realms are
                > > favoured over
                > > others?
                >
                > For starters, I think that it's obvious the Latins
                > have the worst spot in the game. They are weak in
                > resources, have many provinces to defend, and are
                > surrounded by foes.
                >
                > Of course, the corner spots have the advantages of no
                > foe o their rear, but think they begin weaker, too,
                > don't they?

                I disagree in both points. I played three games. One as Hispania,
                which I lost by midgame, and two as Carthage, of which in one I lost
                quickly and in the other I will declare Major Victory right this
                week, together with the League (biggest in terms of direct gold
                value) and Cappadocia.

                My observations are as follows - just picked a few:
                - The Gauls are extremely limited, as they don´t have sea access (and
                only limited venues to conquer!) and only one good recruitment spot.
                He must either find Massilia as his partner, or find an ally outside,
                Hispania or Rome at best. It´s a loosing position in my eyes.
                - Hispania has real difficulties to expand, if he has no deal with
                the Gauls: He then must achieve peace on his northern border, but
                cannot go elsewhere. Landing in Africa will inevitably bring the
                Carthaginians against them, even if the land is not distributed yet.
                With Quadriremes as maximum ships, Hispania will defend himself for a
                good while, but I doubt whether he can raise to world leadership.
                - Carthage is entirely dependend on whoever has Syracuse. If he
                neither gets security from the League nor finds partners against the
                League, he cannot hold his dominion. Different from the League,
                Carthage has no royal gallons and is only a medium power on sea, so
                he is pretty vulnerable, apart from Carthage itself, which only
                should fall at a time Carthage is lost anyway. Carthage will either
                play a major role or struggle at the brink of collapse for a real
                long time, depending on his diplomatic skills (and the willingness of
                the others). I don´t think, it´s a "winning realm"
                - The League is similar vulnerable, but after all can be better
                defended as Carthage. The League has the strongest navy in the
                western and middle mediterranean and hence and due to the excellent
                central position he is a wooed partner for many realms. He should
                have no real difficulties to survive if he has one friend on his side
                nearby (Rome best). It´s much more a "winning realm" than others, I
                think.
                - Etruscy always only had a side role. I´m not sure whether this was
                due to the players, but for the moment I consider this realm as "not
                winning"
                - Cappadocia has been strong in all games I played, at least during a
                period, and it might be a candidate for a "winning position"
                - Thrace and Greek seem to exclusive. The one or the other
                predominates in the region and is a major power during a significant
                phase of the game. So, "winning realm" in principle
                - Hellespont do have significant navy at the beginning and should
                ally with someone who can help to expand during the starting phase.
                If Hellespont fails to do this, he will get conquered quite quickly.
                "Loosing position", but with potential.
              • Greg Stafford
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 23, 2007
                  --- thecarthaginian <c-in-c@...> wrote:

                  > I disagree in both points. I played three games.
                  etc.

                  Excellent analysis. I bow to your superior experience

                  http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                • Greg Stafford
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                    Can Commanders act independently of any troops? For
                    instance, can a lone commander take an unoccupied
                    city?

                    Thank you.

                  • kalinin_yuri
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
                      Commanders can travel by theirselves. As for capturing provinces
                      your unit should have at least 10% attack stregth to capture
                      province.

                      _______________
                      > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
                      updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

                    • Greg Stafford
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
                        And "attack strength" = Combat Value?

                        --- kalinin_yuri <kalinin_yuri@...> wrote:

                        > Commanders can travel by theirselves. As for
                        > capturing provinces
                        > your unit should have at least 10% attack stregth to
                        > capture
                        > province.
                        >
                        > --- In ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com, Greg Stafford
                        > <glorantha1@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Can Commanders act independently of any troops?
                        > For
                        > > instance, can a lone commander take an unoccupied
                        > > city?
                        > >
                        > > Thank you.

                        > _______________
                        > > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly
                        > Here and Now (it's
                        > updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >

                        > mailto:ageofconquest-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                      • corpstaffingsystems
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                          > - The League is similar vulnerable, but after all can be better
                          > defended as Carthage. The League has the strongest navy in the
                          > western and middle mediterranean and hence and due to the excellent
                          > central position he is a wooed partner for many realms. He should
                          > have no real difficulties to survive if he has one friend on his
                          > side nearby (Rome best). It´s much more a "winning realm" than
                          > others, I think.

                          Everything you've said here works for Massilia as well. (who also have
                          Royal Galleys) Your troops are as good or better than any of your
                          neighbors. (Hispania, Western gaul, Insubre) as long as you don't have
                          to fight them all.

                          Tim
                        • Marc Kosiek
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                            no

                            >From: dave vranch <carthage200bc@...>
                            >To: ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [ageofconquest] Game Balance
                            >Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 07:38:54 +0100 (BST)
                            >
                            >would it be possibile for me to play in the coming weeks ?
                            > as would like to give it a go .and where would i find the rules /tips
                            >for the game.
                            > happy gaming H..
                            >teamfumble <colm.mcquilkin@...> wrote:
                            > As the game has been going for a while how do players think the
                            >balance
                            >works?
                            >
                            >Does anyone have the impression that some realms are favoured over
                            >others?
                            >

                            >---------------------------------
                            > Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign
                            >up for your freeaccount today.

                            More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
                          • goat_with1000young
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 8, 2007
                              wrote:

                              > And "attack strength" = Combat Value?

                              "PROVINCE OWNERSHIP CHANGES:
                              This step is for the ownership of provinces to change. If a province is
                              invaded, and all friendly armies are destroyed or have retreated, then
                              the invaders will now own the province. If a province is invaded by
                              more than one Realm, then the Realm with the greatest number of
                              troops/commanders in the province at this time must have a total combat
                              of at least 10 (which means a lone siege machine cannot conquer a
                              province)."

                              Rulebook page 24.
                            • Greg Stafford
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 9, 2007
                                I recently got bagged by a fleet of triremes sneaking in and landing
                                troops in an undefended city.
                                I was pretty surprised, and felt somewhat mollified when I noticed
                                that triremes aren't even listed in the rules as a type of available ship!
                                In case anyone else would like the data on them:
                                Trireme
                                attack" 3x30%
                                His: 3
                                Move: 3
                                Build: 6
                                Maintain: 0.5
                                fighting room: 1
                                Storage: 1

                                Does anyone else know of other units missing from the troop list?

                                --Greg
                              • goat_with1000young
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 14, 2007
                                  The Cimmerian Hellespont has something called a "plaguespreader" unit.

                                  No, not really.