[ageofconquest] Fortress Bonus

  • Greg Stafford
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
      The rules state:
      For example, if the strike bonus was 50 for Infantry
      troops, then archers would gain +50% to their normal
      strike (so a strike of 30 would be increased to 45).

      So does this mean if the Strike bonus = 114, then
      archers whose unmodified combat value = 15 is:

      15 x 114% = 17.1
      OR
      15 x 214% = 32.1

      I believe it is the latter, but want to check

      http://farechase.yahoo.com/
    • Greg Stafford
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
        The rules have made me nervous about combining two
        fleets that both have troops.

        Do I need separate Transfer orders to join the troops
        into one unit carried by the fleet? Or does
        transferring the fleet automatically get the unit onto
        the fleet?
        Example:
        I have Fleet 1, with "Marines" on it;
        and I want to transfer it to join:
        Fleet 2, with "Infantry" on it.

        What orders do I need to use for the combining?

        Be a PS3 game guru.
      • denis_podlipsky
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 5, 2007
          Sure, it is 15 + 114% = 32.1

          Yet both 15 and 32.1 are very insignificant figures, don't you think?

          --- In ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com, Greg Stafford <glorantha1@...>
          wrote:

          > The rules state:
          > For example, if the strike bonus was 50 for Infantry
          > troops, then archers would gain +50% to their normal
          > strike (so a strike of 30 would be increased to 45).
          >
          > So does this mean if the Strike bonus = 114, then
          > archers whose unmodified combat value = 15 is:
          >
          > 15 x 114% = 17.1
          > OR
          > 15 x 214% = 32.1
          >
          > I believe it is the latter, but want to check

          _______________
          Yahoo! FareChase.
          > http://farechase.yahoo.com/

        • denis_podlipsky
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 5, 2007
            According to my personal experience at-sea transfers are not
            allowed. I mean, you can't transfer "Marines" from Fleet 1 to Fleet
            2 until you unload them and load again.
            But you can transfer your "Marines" to Fleet 2 by combining the
            Fleets. Then you'll have Combined Fleet with "Marines"
            and "Infantry" on it. Yet these are still two armies, not one.

            Should anyone prove the opposite, I will be glad to hear.

            wrote:

            > The rules have made me nervous about combining two
            > fleets that both have troops.
            >
            > Do I need separate Transfer orders to join the troops
            > into one unit carried by the fleet? Or does
            > transferring the fleet automatically get the unit onto
            > the fleet?
            > Example:
            > I have Fleet 1, with "Marines" on it;
            > and I want to transfer it to join:
            > Fleet 2, with "Infantry" on it.
            >
            > What orders do I need to use for the combining?

            _______________
            > Be a PS3 game guru.
            Yahoo! Games.

          • Greg Stafford
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 5, 2007
              > Sure, it is 15 + 114% = 32.1

              Thanks, that is what I thought.

              > Yet both 15 and 32.1 are very insignificant figures,
              > don't you think?

              Well, not when there are 21 of them.
              :)

              http://farechase.yahoo.com/
            • Greg Stafford
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 5, 2007
                Hello,

                Thank you!
                NOW, that having been determined, would both of these
                soldier units and also the new combined fleet ALL get
                the Fleet Bonus of my leader who has been assigned to
                this naval unit?

                --Greg

                > According to my personal experience at-sea transfers
                > are not
                > allowed. I mean, you can't transfer "Marines" from
                > Fleet 1 to Fleet
                > 2 until you unload them and load again.
                > But you can transfer your "Marines" to Fleet 2 by
                > combining the
                > Fleets. Then you'll have Combined Fleet with
                > "Marines"
                > and "Infantry" on it. Yet these are still two
                > armies, not one.
                >
                > Should anyone prove the opposite, I will be glad to
                > hear.
                >
                > --- In ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com, Greg Stafford
                > <glorantha1@...>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > The rules have made me nervous about combining two
                > > fleets that both have troops.
                > >
                > > Do I need separate Transfer orders to join the
                > troops
                > > into one unit carried by the fleet? Or does
                > > transferring the fleet automatically get the unit
                > onto
                > > the fleet?
                > > Example:
                > > I have Fleet 1, with "Marines" on it;
                > > and I want to transfer it to join:
                > > Fleet 2, with "Infantry" on it.
                > >
                > > What orders do I need to use for the combining?

                > _______________
                > > Be a PS3 game guru.
                > > Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and
                > previews at
                > Yahoo! Games.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > mailto:ageofconquest-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                Need Mail bonding?
              • Carthaginian
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 5, 2007
                  On Sea Transfers ARE allowed, but used to be buggy, at least in Medieval.
                  Try to avoid them. It´s always a good idea to disembark all your troops
                  everytime, as they will onboard prior any sea battle next turn again and
                  you can better rearrange on land. Note that you have only one UNLOAD-order
                  per turn. That means, if you plan to invade amphibiously and have more
                  than one unit onboard, you cannot use all of them. So, what you really
                  want to have are several units of fleets with fitting troops numbers on
                  board. No, you won´t get a commander bonus for all of them, just for one
                  group.

                  --
                  http://www.carthaginian.de
                  International DBM tournament - register now:
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 5, 2007
                    Greetings:

                    Carthaginian, are you certain your answer is correct???

                    Last turn I loaded 2 armies from different provinces onto a large
                    fleet, sailed and then unloaded them both without a problem. Below
                    is a copy from my turn file.

                    Phase#1
                    We loaded Pillager 1 (Our Army #9)
                    We loaded Group 3 (Our Army #3)
                    We sailed to Tosa Sea (Action Cost: 1 Move Point)
                    We unloaded Pillager 1 (Our Army #9) to [35] Tosa, and this used all
                    remaining move points
                    We unloaded Group 3 (Our Army #3) to [35] Tosa, and this used all
                    remaining move points

                    I have done this with 3 and 4 armies in the past and dropped them
                    into completely different provinces within the same sea zone without
                    a problem.
                    Skip

                    Carthaginian wrote:
                    Note that you have only one UNLOAD-order per turn.
                    That means, if you plan to invade amphibiously and have more
                    than one unit onboard, you cannot use all of them.
                  • Derek
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 5, 2007

                      There is probably confusion.  Once a fleet unloads, it loses all remaining movement points.  You can only unload if you started a phase with movement points.  So, while you can indeed unload more than a single army from a fleet, they can only perform unloads if they are all in the same phase.  You cannot unload->move->unload, for example.  A further example, you also cannot not unload->Hold->unload.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 20 9:32 PM
                          Some friends and I have been having a discussion about applying the
                          Fortification Bonus.

                          I believe that a number of units equal to the Barracks Space gets the
                          bonus EACH ROUND of battle.

                          Is that correct?
                        • Joisey@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 21 7:50 AM
                            Yes, by ranking.  Those in the first rank get the bonus applied to them first, etc.  I think I heard somewhere that excess units during combat do NOT get bumped up to take advantage of the fortification bonus in place of lost casulaties.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 21 12:30 PM
                              Seeking clarity.

                              OK, I am cutting and pasting here, to keep things in
                              order.

                              >> --I asked:
                              >> I believe that a number of units equal to the
                              Barracks Space gets the
                              >> bonus EACH ROUND of battle.

                              >> Is that correct?

                              > --- Joisey@... wrote:

                              > Yes, by ranking. Those in the first rank get the
                              bonus applied to them first, etc. I think I heard
                              somewhere that excess units during combat do NOT get
                              bumped up to take advantage of the fortification bonus
                              in place of lost casualties.

                              OK, to be more concrete.
                              I have 25 units in a fortress with a Barracks Space of
                              10 units. Each unit is worth 10/1, and the bonus is
                              +100% and +1 HP.

                              Round One: for my attack I have 15 units that attack
                              normally (15 units x10 points), and 10 in the front
                              rank that get the bonus (10 units x 20 = 200) = 350
                              attack points.
                              I get hit for 22 damage. I lose all 10 units in the
                              front rank = 20 HP, and two others from the second
                              rank = 22 HP.

                              I’ve lost everyone in the front ranks now, but
                              casualties are not removed.

                              Round 2:
                              DO THOSE TEN “DEAD” GUYS GET THE BONUS THIS ROUND?

                              If they do not, do ten more guys get the bonus
                              instead?
                              I think NO, not this round.

                              Miraculously, for the sake of this example, I lose no
                              defenders this round.

                              Next Round.
                              I have 13 defenders.
                              DO TEN NEW GUYS GET THE BONUS?
                              I think Yes.

                              Greg Stafford
                              Game Designer
                              http://www.weareallus.com/games.html
                            • stork1656
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 25 12:07 PM
                                Greetings Greg:

                                A fort affords two separate bonuses.
                                1) Hit Points.
                                2) Combat.

                                Troops with bonuses in odd numbered rounds retain those bonuses in
                                even numbered rounds. Troops are only lost after the conclusion of
                                an even numbered round.

                                Once you have lost your first 10 troops (per your example below)
                                there will no longer be any Hit Point Bonus given but, 10 new troops
                                will gain the Combat Bonus in subsequent rounds. Until all your
                                troops are killed, there are 10 "combat bonus" positions available.
                                Skip

                                Greg Stafford wrote:
                                Seeking clarity.
                                --I asked:

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 1, 2009
                                  Friends,

                                  Is it necessary to be Royal to collect the bonus for having all the
                                  provinces within your Region?
                                • Sonny Scott
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 1, 2009
                                    Yes, or you can make an arrangement to hench to someone and work something out.

                                    Is it necessary to be Royal to collect the bonus for having all the
                                    provinces within your Region?

                                  • bob scott
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 1, 2009

                                      Hello:

                                      When you want to hench for  someone, is it done by offering patronage? Or do you have to enter something from the HQ page?

                                      Thanks

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 1, 2009
                                        If you have been dealing with someone in your game, then you need to talk to them. Henching requires both parties to agree. I should have also mentioned that the person you hench to needs to be Royal and will need to be in possession of one of the Providences in your Fiefdom..

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 1, 2009

                                          Can you explain the following?

                                          Offer patronage?

                                          Offer allegiance?

                                          I think client state is when you hench?

                                          Thanks

                                          If you have been dealing with someone in your game, then you need to talk to them. Henching requires both parties to agree. I should have also mentioned that the person you hench to needs to be Royal and will need to be in possession of one of the Providences in your Fiefdom..

                                          When you want to hench for  someone, is it done by offering patronage? Or do you have to enter something from the HQ page?

                                          Thanks

                                          Yes, or you can make an arrangement to hench to someone and work something out.

                                          Is it necessary to be Royal to collect the bonus for having all the
                                          provinces within your Region?

                                        • darrylatkinson001
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 20, 2009
                                            Well, sort of...

                                            There is a rating on each unit type indicating the barracks space that
                                            it occupies. Infantry - 1, Cavalry - 2, elephants - 3. The units in
                                            the lowest ranks will get the bonus first, and as they are killed they
                                            will be replaced by units in higher ranks, as space allows. Please
                                            also note tht the fortification bonus in the game is misleading. A
                                            level 7 fortress DOES NOT provide a 108% bonus to the defenders. It is
                                            actually about half that. Just one more problem with the system in Age
                                            Games, that the GM will not acknowledge or correct.

                                            Darryl Atkinson