Re: Anyone else noticed that people are afraid to try to win?

  • corpstaffingsystems
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 2, 2007
      The focus of the game is Diplomacy, but it is a wargame. War is
      diplomacy by other means.

      Veteran Games are optional, invatation games games, where everyone
      who has played at least 10 trns in a current game gets an invatation.
      Cronyism? there is no way to guarente you will be in a game with a
      friend, or close enough to help each other. But Vet games are brutal,
      everyone steps it up afew notches. Anytime I start a new game on here
      I look to see who I've played with before and then if I can trust
      them. If there are people you like playing with and are considering a
      new game, you ask them if they are going to put in for one as well.
      If you get lucky your in the same one, if your really lucky your
      close. Dosn't work as often as it does.

      If these are things a player can't handle then they should consider
      doing other things.

      Tim

      --- In ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com, "virgil huston"
      <virgil.huston@...> wrote:

      > The short answer is just stay away from vets games. I have tried
      two and
      > they were terrible games.
      > Virgil
      >

      > On 3/30/07, Jeff George <george666@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > *That's repulsive. It reeks so much of cronyism that's almost
      enough to
      > > turn me off to these games completely. Why don't they just sit
      around and
      > > give hand jobs to each other if they're not going to play the
      games
      > > properly?*
      > >
      > > *Regards,*
      > > *Jeff George*
      > >

      > > ------------------------------

      Germany

      > > From experience I can only say that you should stay away
      > > from "veteran" games. The professionalism means just exploitation
      of
      > > rules and lying to new players. The veterans will stick together
      even
      > > when it is not in their interest in the current game, because they
      > > want to maintain their relationships and help each other in other
      > > games. So any amount of diplomacy or reasoning won't do you any
      good.

      > > If you would happen to make progress against a player belonging to
      > > such a veteran coalition he will as a last resort sacrifice
      himself
      > > by making suicidal attacks or by giving away territories to help
      his
      > > friends. A veteran player might thus behave quite erratically and
      > > unprofessionally and ignore any chances for victory, if he sees
      that
      > > he has small chances for victory and it would be easier just to
      be of
      > > help to his veteran friend. He might after all help you in an
      another
      > > game, whereas a screwed-over new player is unlikely to continue
      > > playing, so it doesn't really matter what you do to him.

    • Wyatt
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 20, 2007
        There is also the point that friends across the table with the Risk
        board on it often have something else to base their friendship on
        other than the game, such as eating pizza, taking that test together,
        covering for him back in junior high, etc. not to mention things like
        facial expressions and body language that help pass some threat off as
        good fun, something that is hard to do via text only in emails.