Re: Are we ready?

  • Adam Wendel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
      I'm here and ready to go. I assume they will start next week. Been
      telling others in my current games about the new format. Seems a bit
      like DL Suz/Hench relationship.

      My thought about the tutorial is that the miniatures are a bit large,
      though look very nice. If they could be "shrunk" without losing that
      great detail, that would be nice. Banners a bit difficult to see.
      Don't need to enlarge them, but rather change some coloration so that
      they stand out against the background/units of each province. Right
      now they look like an infantry shield. ;)

      Also, Tim mentioned to me that the Quadreme that can be built is
      described as have three sets of oars. Can that be right? I thought
      Quad meant 4.

      Adam [Wendel] - not Adam Bell ;)

      --- In ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com, "maedhros_1" <myalternate@...>
      wrote:

      > Stork is guessing - the membership is a bit low. There are a lot
      of
      > invitational games out right now. Once those close that frees up
      > regulars.
      >
      > There will be a big influx when there is more data, and games are
      > ready. The original email said 5 weeks which is a long time.
      >
      > --- In ageofconquest@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Eyland" <diemooieen@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I'd be happy to play. Do I just sign up like signing up for other
      > games?
      > > How do you know there are 16 ready to play?
      > >
      > > ----Original Message Follows----
      > > From: "stork1656" <tork50s@>
      > >
      > > We aren't ready for the game. There are only 19 members here,
      > > one is the GM and I see at least two double members. There are 19
      > > positions and, at best, we have only have 16 ready to play.
      > >
      > > Tell somebody!

    • maedhros_1
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
        "Also, Tim mentioned to me that the Quadreme that can be built is
        described as have three sets of oars. Can that be right? I
        thought
        Quad meant 4." Adam Wendel" <adamich17

        Quad does mean 4, but refers to the number of men at the oars, not
        the the number of oars. Adding a 4th level to the ship would
        require a longer and weaker oar, and the strain of the pull or
        stroke would be too much on the men.(probably the oar too) Also the
        ship would become much heavier and more unstable having a tall and
        very narrow hull.

        Quadremes have one extra body added to one the existing 3 levels of
        oars. So they have roughly 1/3 more rowers than a trireme, and a
        Quinquireme has roughly 2/3 more. Having added two extra men.
        Probably to the top two levels.