Re: [pmadurai] Tamil & Other Languages: A Comparison

  • Ma Siva Kumar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
      Dear Friends,

      After reading Srinivasan's mail I bought an English translation of
      the Book of Songs.

      I am forwarding one song from the book. Those well versed
      with AgananuRu please comment on this.

      I hope that this also reflects the litery merits
      of Chinese languague. Even at an early stage of language learning
      I come across some extraordinary pieces of literary work (in my
      opinion).

      By riversides are cooing
      A pair of turtledoves;
      A good young man is wooing
      A fair maiden he loves

      Water flows left and right
      Of cresses here and there;
      The youth yearns day and night
      For the good maiden fair.

      His yearning grows so strong,
      He cannot fall asleep;
      He tosses all night long,
      So deep in love, so deep!

      Now gather left and right
      The cresses sweet and tender!
      O lute, play music bright
      For the bride fair and slender!

      Feast friends at left and right
      On cresses cooked till tender!
      O bells and drums, delight
      The bride so fair and slender

      Note: Turtledoves coo in spring, cresses emerge on water in summer,
      are gathered in autumn and cooked in winter, so a young man
      woos in spring, loves in summer, gets engaged in autumns and
      gets wedded in winter in accordance with the rites and with the
      accompaniment of music.

      unquote

      Siva

      S.Srinivasan wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      > please find enclosed herewith a comparison of Tamil with
      > other major languages of the world. It looks Tamil has a good mix of many
      > nice features of the world languages. Regards.
      >
      > anbudan
      > S.Srinivasan

      Siva Kumar M Pillai
      69/2 Shanghai Garden,