Re: [agathiyar] The Biography of U VE Swaminatha Aiyar

  • jaybee555
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
      At 11:32 AM 11/30/2006 -0500, you wrote:

      >--- jaybee555 <jaybee555@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Dear Friends,
      >>
      >> The great savant of ancient Tamil literature who
      >> brought to light
      >> many hitherto vanished great books - U VE Swaminatha
      >> Aiyar. He has
      >> written his autobiography called 'en chariththiram'.
      >> But the book was
      >> written upto a certain period only. The book covers
      >> upto the fortieth
      >> year of UVS.
      >> But UVS lived upto a great old age - 82 years. The
      >> second
      >> 42 years of his life contain many important events.
      >> He did not touch
      >> that period. In his books on Miscellania, like
      >> Nallurai kOvai,
      >> naan kaNdathum kEttathum, palzaiyathum puthiyathum,
      >> and one more
      >> series,
      >
      >I think you are referring to the series: Ninaivu
      >Manjari .
      >

      >UVS has written about some important and
      >> interesting events
      >> and matters of curiosity.
      >> His prime student was Ki.Va. Jagannatha Aiyar who
      >> became the
      >> editor of KalaimagaL literary magazine.
      >> He has written a very sketchy and scant biography
      >> called
      >> 'en aasiriya piraan'.
      >
      >It is interesting that we do not hear about 'other'
      >students of UVS and that nobody else also felt
      >complelled to write a more exhaustive 'followup'
      >biography of UVS.

      KiVaaJa was more closer to UVS than anyone else.
      Even unto the last day.
      But yours is a pertinent question.
      I have haerd that the 'Thamilz Kadal' RaayaCho was
      one of the students of UVS.
      Raaya Cho's student was the famous Akilan of Paavai ViLakku
      fame.

      >> It is a pathetically small book. The events do
      >> follow any
      >> chronological order. Haphazard slip-shod writing by
      >> one of the
      >> great literary figures of the 20th century. And that
      >> too about his
      >> Maestro - UVS.
      >> But UVS is different.
      >> He has written a very exhaustive biography of his
      >> own
      >> teacher, the great MahaVidvan MeenatchiSundaram
      >> Pillai of
      >> Thirisirapuram.
      >
      >I think he was a pioneer in writing authentic, sincere
      >biographies. He
      >wrote 5 of them: MSPiLLai, Tyagaraja Chettiar, Ghanam
      >KrishNa Iyer, MahaVaidyanAtha iyer and GKBharathi.
      >They still are very informative records of those
      >times.
      >
      >Pasupathy

      That is an uncontestable fact. He was the first scientific
      biographer and autobiographer.
      There is a grapevine news that the writing of 'en chariththiram'
      itself was done by a ghost. Because the style differed from the style
      used in other works.
      Its not difficult to guess who the 'ghost' was:-)

      Regards

      JayBee

      >> It is a great thing that UVS has done. Especially
      >> when we
      >> realise the fact that UVS had studied under Pillai
      >> for a mere
      >> four years. Yes, four years out of 82 years. But
      >> yet UVS has
      >> written an exhaustive book on the MahaVidvan.
      >>
      >> Regards
      >>
      >> JayBee

      ==============================

    • jaybee555
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
> [...]

        >KrishNa Iyer, MahaVaidyanAtha iyer and GKBharathi.
        >They still are very informative records of those
        >times.
        >
        >Pasupathy

        That is an uncontestable fact. He was the first scientific
        biographer and autobiographer.
        There is a grapevine news that the writing of 'en chariththiram'
        itself was done by a ghost. Because the style differed from the style
        used in other works.
        Its not difficult to guess who the 'ghost' was:-)

        Regards

        JayBee

        >> It is a great thing that UVS has done. Especially
        >> when we
        >> realise the fact that UVS had studied under Pillai
        >> for a mere
        >> four years. Yes, four years out of 82 years. But
        >> yet UVS has
        >> written an exhaustive book on the MahaVidvan.

        ==============================

      • Pas S. Pasupathy
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
          Dear Thiru Sampath,

          You can read some details about U.V.S' 'en charithram'
          as well as see some sample pages from that series in
          :

          http://groups.google.com/group/yAppulagam/

          The pictures are in the 10-th (last) letter under the
          file/thread 'Pictures'.

          Pasupathy
          1-12-06

          --- gvssampath <gvssampath@...> wrote:

          > --- In agathiyar@yahoogroups.com, "jaybee555"
          > <jaybee555@...> wrote:
          >
          >ஜெயபாரதி
          > அவர்களே
          > உ வெ சா

          அவர்களைப்பற்றி

          எழுதியது
          > சரியே.
          > தன்

          குருவைப்பற்றி
          > எழுதிய

          புத்தகம்
          > அவர்
          > காலத்து

          சரித்திரம்
          > என்றே

          சொல்லலாம்.

          > உ வே சா
          > சுய

          சரித்திரம்
          > ஆனந்த

          விகடனில்

          வாரம்தோரும்

          வந்த்தென்றும்

          > அவர்
          > காலம்
          > ஆனவுடன்

          நின்றுவிட்டது
          > என்றும்
          > என்
          > தாயார்

          சொல்லிக்கேட்டிருக்கிறேன்.
          > அதனால்
          > தான் அது
          > அவரது 40
          > வயதுடன்
          > முடிவது.
          > எத்தனை
          > இழ்ப்பு
          > ந்ம்

          எல்லொருக்கும்.

          > தெ பா
          > சம்பத்
          > >

          > > Dear Friends,
          > >
          > > The great savant of ancient Tamil literature who
          > brought to
          > light
          > > many hitherto vanished great books - U VE
          > Swaminatha Aiyar. He has
          > > written his autobiography called 'en
          > chariththiram'. But the book
          > was
          > > written upto a certain period only. The book
          > covers upto the
          > fortieth
          > > year of UVS.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Pas S. Pasupathy
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
            --- jaybee555 <jaybee555@...> wrote:

            > At 11:32 AM 11/30/2006 -0500, you wrote:
            > >
            > >--- jaybee555 <jaybee555@...> wrote:
            > >> He has written a very sketchy and scant
            > biography
            > >> called
            > >> 'en aasiriya piraan'.
            > >
            > >It is interesting that we do not hear about 'other'
            > >students of UVS and that nobody else also felt
            > >complelled to write a more exhaustive 'followup'
            > >biography of UVS.
            >

            > KiVaaJa was more closer to UVS than anyone else.
            > Even unto the last day.
            > But yours is a pertinent question.
            > I have haerd that the 'Thamilz Kadal' RaayaCho was
            > one of the students of UVS.
            > Raaya Cho's student was the famous Akilan of Paavai
            > ViLakku
            > fame.

            Perhaps my question was not completely fair ...
            in the sense that it does not take into account the
            following facts and circumstances . In the first
            edition of 'en charithram', published by UVS' son
            Kalyanasundaram , Kalyanasundaram , in his preface,
            has clearly indicated :

            1) UVS had left detailed notes about
            his entire life , with the intention of writing about
            them in a detailed manner for his autobio.
            2) He ( i.e.son) hopes to complete the bio , with the
            help of these notes and friends' help.

            He wrote this in 1950. So perhaps because of this
            assertion none else took up the task of completing
            the bio.
            ( If Kalyanasundaram had immediately requested
            'someone' to undertake this job, I think we would
            have had a different result... Vikatan would have been
            only too ready to 'continue' the bio. I can't see
            Vasan or Devan refusing to publish it on a weekly
            basis .)

            I don't have KVJ's book with me. I don't know when he
            actually wrote it.

            My feeling is that Kalyanasundaram must have felt
            later (when?) that he was not quite
            the right person to do it and persuaded KVJ to
            undertake the completion ( when?) . KVJ, who was busy
            in his own way and in his own publications, perhaps
            did not give it as much time he should have. But I'm
            pretty certain that KVJ would have used at least many
            of the notes left by UVS himself. Makes sense ; why
            will he not? But did he use *all* the facts ?

            In fact, a good present-day researcher should be able
            to, with the permission of UVS Library, examine the
            notes and KVJ's book and compare and point out those
            episodes which have not been either written about or
            incompletely written about by KVJ! This would at
            least be enough to make a good article, if not a book!
            And perhaps induce others to write about them..

            Of course, these are not the 'types' of research most
            modern Tamil scholars are interested in or engage
            in...

            Pasupathy
            1-12-06

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • V.S. Ananthanarayanan
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
              --- In agathiyar@yahoogroups.com, "Pas S. Pasupathy" <pas_jaya@...>
              > >My feeling is that Kalyanasundaram must have felt
              > later (when?) that he was not quite
              > the right person to do it and persuaded KVJ to
              > undertake the completion ( when?) . KVJ, who was busy
              > in his own way and in his own publications, perhaps
              > did not give it as much time he should have. But I'm
              > pretty certain that KVJ would have used at least many
              > of the notes left by UVS himself. Makes sense ; why
              > will he not? But did he use *all* the facts ?

              Ki.vA.Ja published UVS's ¾Á¢úôÀñ ÁïºÃ¢ in 1961-62 as a UVS library
              publication. The Library also published:
              ¾¢ÕÅ¡ÅÎÐ¨È ¬¾£ÉòÐ Á¸¡Å¢òÐÅ¡ý ‚ ¾¢Ã¢º¢ÃÒÃõ Á£É¡ðº¢Íó¾Ãõ À¢
              û¨ÇÂÅ÷¸û ºÃ¢ò¾¢ÃîÍÕì¸õ (A condensed version of UVS's biography of
              his teacher MeenAkshisundharam Pillai, in 1965 as part of a
              commemoration of MP);
              "¦¸¡í̧ÅÇ¢÷ þÂüȢ ¦ÀÕí¸¡¨¾-¯.§Å. º¡Á¢É¡¾öÂ÷ À⧺¡¾¢òÐ ±Ø¾¢Â ÌÈ¢
              ôҨà ӾĢÂÅü§È¡Î À¾¢ì¸ôÀð¼Ð" 1968.
              ¯.§Å. º¡. "¸Âü¸ñ½¢ Á¡¨Ä", 1970 (I don't know if UVS had
              published this earlier during his time).

              ..ananth 1-12-2006
            • Pas S. Pasupathy
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                --- "V.S. Ananthanarayanan" <anbudan_ananth@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In agathiyar@yahoogroups.com, "Pas S. Pasupathy"
                > <pas_jaya@...>
                > > >My feeling is that Kalyanasundaram must have
                > felt
                > > later (when?) that he was not quite
                > > the right person to do it and persuaded KVJ to
                > > undertake the completion ( when?) . KVJ, who was
                > busy
                > > in his own way and in his own publications,
                > perhaps
                > > did not give it as much time he should have. But
                > I'm
                > > pretty certain that KVJ would have used at least
                > many
                > > of the notes left by UVS himself. Makes sense ;
                > why
                > > will he not? But did he use *all* the facts ?
                >
                > Ki.vA.Ja published UVS's ¾Á¢úôÀñ ÁïºÃ¢ in 1961-62 as
                > a UVS library
                > publication. The Library also published:
                > ¾¢ÕÅ¡ÅÎÐ¨È ¬¾£ÉòÐ Á¸¡Å¢òÐÅ¡ý ‚ ¾¢Ã¢º¢ÃÒÃõ
                > Á£É¡ðº¢Íó¾Ãõ À¢
                > û¨ÇÂÅ÷¸û ºÃ¢ò¾¢ÃîÍÕì¸õ (A condensed version of UVS's
                > biography of
                > his teacher MeenAkshisundharam Pillai, in 1965 as
                > part of a
                > commemoration of MP);
                > "¦¸¡í̧ÅÇ¢÷ þÂüȢ ¦ÀÕí¸¡¨¾-¯.§Å. º¡Á¢É¡¾öÂ÷
                > À⧺¡¾¢òÐ ±Ø¾¢Â ÌÈ¢
                > ôҨà ӾĢÂÅü§È¡Î À¾¢ì¸ôÀð¼Ð" 1968.
                > ¯.§Å. º¡. "¸Âü¸ñ½¢ Á¡¨Ä", 1970 (I don't know if UVS
                > had
                > published this earlier during his time).
                >
                > ..ananth 1-12-2006

                Thanks, Ananth.

                True. KVJ as well as UVS Library continue(d) to
                publish many books etc with the research notes and
                explanations already prepared by UVS. I'm sure that
                there is still more unpublished work.

                But my doubt was not about using UVS' notes for
                publication of research monographs/books, but about
                KVJ using all of UVS' notes about his own personal
                life in as far as that would be relevant in writing
                UVS' biography , as a continuation of his "en
                charithram" .... That is, did KVJ cover or do full
                justice to all the important landmarks and associated
                interesting stories in his life that UVS himself might
                have mentioned in his notes? JayBee
                feels it does not do justice .

                But I forgot some details. I'm sure UVS' son would
                also have prepared his own notes in anticipation of
                continuing UVS' bio. I also forgot that KS passed
                away before he could do it; I think KS' son
                Subramanian is the one who approached KVJ and
                requested KVJ to finish up UVS bio. ( I don't know the
                year?)

                So KVJ must have 'squeezed' it in between his many
                other works (when did he write 'En aasiriya piraan'?)
                ..including editorship of KalaimagaL.

                My feeling is: if KS had entrusted this job to
                KVj or someone else , as soon as UVS passed away, it
                would have been a less hectic period in KVJ or other's
                life and we would have got a more full 'bio'. More
                info about UVS would have been easier to collect in
                the 50-s than in 70's etc ..which is, when I suspect
                KVJ wrote the followup. ( I don't know the exact
                year.) Also, another 'less busy' student of UVS (with
                help from the busy KVJ) even might have been a better
                choice.

                I understand that now Venkatakrishnan, UVS'
                great-grand son, (son of Subramanian) , is the one
                who
                cooperates with UVS Library in bringing out books etc.

                Pasupathy
                2-12-06

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • jaybee555
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Very interesting and informative discourse.

                  KVJ is one of the great Tamil scholars of the 20th century.
                  His 'Vidayavan Aayiram' is a key to knowledge. KalaimagaL reached
                  superior heights during the tenure of KVJ as its editor. His expositions
                  on Kandhar Anubhuthi, Periya Puranam, Abhirami Andhadhi, etc are
                  hall marks of his genius and scholasticity.
                  The collection of KVJ's literary works is a one of the 'must's
                  for youngsters who are really keen to study Tamil.

                  There is a doubt among scholars that 'en charithiram' was
                  actually written by KVJ who was guided by the Octogenarian
                  UVS himself.

                  The reason that they point out, is that UVS's style of
                  writing in all the urais of the numerous books that he edited
                  and published is definitely different from the style that is found
                  in 'en charithiram'. In fact, there are differences between the flow
                  and stylistics of MahaVidvan's Biography and those of 'en charithiram'.

                  'en charithiram' was published during the last years of
                  UVS. At that time, he was past 80.

                  It could have been possible that KVJ who happened to be
                  UVS's nearest and favourite student would have done the actual writing
                  of the book itself. Of course, under the guidance and scrutiny of
                  UVS himself. With his notes of course.
                  No harm in that.
                  At such an advanced age, UVS should not be expected to
                  burden himself with such a monumental and mammoth task.
                  Quite justifiable that.
                  KVJ would have only fulfilled his duty to his Maestro
                  in doing the writing part of it.

                  There is another angle to it.
                  Much of the urais were written between 1880 and 1920.
                  The autobiography was written in 1940 plus.
                  Times had changed.
                  Tamil writing had also changed.
                  The impact of the Era of Manikodi and other modernistic writing
                  were moulding the very nature of Tamil narrative - whether oral
                  or written.
                  This could have affected the change in style of 'en charithiram'
                  even if UVS himself would have done the tedious task of writing the book
                  himself.

                  What irks me most, is that the later 42 years of the life of
                  UVS has not been covered adequately in 'en Asiriya pirAn' by KVJ.
                  And its surprising that nobody else treated his biography.

                  When I came up with my own rendition of 'Thamilz Thaaththaa',
                  Subramanya Aiyar was immensely pleased. When I met him in his house
                  'Thiyagaraja Vilasam', and later in the Library he did voice some
                  indirect opinions. He must have been rather disappointed that the
                  Tamil Academicia was doing justice to one of the greatest if not
                  the greatest Tamil scholar of the contemporary times.
                  Perhaps, gleaning from whatever notes available, the second
                  half of 'en charithiram' could be written by a group of scholars, perhaps?
                  That was the period when momentous ventures of the extreme,
                  were taken by UVS when he treated works like 'Thakka Yaaga ParaNi'.
                  His modus operandi has been explained step by step in the
                  case of 'Siivaka Chintamani' and to a lesser extent, the Sangam
                  works.
                  'Thakka Yaaga Parani' is no easy joke. Even though the work
                  is Saivite, and UVS was a Smartha Saivite or Saambhava as they
                  were called, it is not an easy joke. Thakka Yaaga ParaNi is very
                  different and very difficult.

                  Time is 12-03 am. I should not be exerting myself like this
                  in my present condition.

                  There is more to follow......

                  Regards

                  JayBee

                  At 09:44 AM 12/2/2006 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
                  >year?)
                  >
                  >So KVJ must have 'squeezed' it in between his many
                  >other works (when did he write 'En aasiriya piraan'?)
                  >..including editorship of KalaimagaL.
                  >
                  >My feeling is: if KS had entrusted this job to
                  >KVj or someone else , as soon as UVS passed away, it
                  >would have been a less hectic period in KVJ or other's
                  >life and we would have got a more full 'bio'. More
                  >info about UVS would have been easier to collect in
                  >the 50-s than in 70's etc ..which is, when I suspect
                  >KVJ wrote the followup. ( I don't know the exact
                  >year.) Also, another 'less busy' student of UVS (with
                  >help from the busy KVJ) even might have been a better
                  >choice.
                  >

                  >I understand that now Venkatakrishnan, UVS'
                  >great-grand son, (son of Subramanian) , is the one
                  >who
                  >cooperates with UVS Library in bringing out books etc.

                • Pas S. Pasupathy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Dear Jaybee,

                    I will try to give my view-point about the issue of
                    " who really wrote 'en charithram' " in my next
                    letter.

                    But..I would like you to take it easy and not strain
                    yourself ..and only respond when it is comfortable
                    for you.

                    Pas

                    --- jaybee555 <jaybee555@...> wrote:

                    > Time is 12-03 am. I should not be exerting myself
                    > like this
                    > in my present condition.
                    >
                    > There is more to follow......
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > JayBee

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Pas S. Pasupathy
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Dear Jaybee,

                      Here's my view-point after a brief study!

                      1) I think UVS chose different styles for urai-s,
                      biographies written as a book, articles in Magazines,
                      etc.

                      2) It is obvious his style changed after he retired
                      in 1927... after being the Principal of meenAkshi
                      Tamil college. In fact, KVJ remarks in a place:
                      that " after his retirement , UVS began to write about
                      his experiences in 'simple, sweet' (±Ç¢Â, þÉ¢¨Á¡É)
                      prose-style. And these were appreciated by lots of
                      people."

                      3) I have read somewhere( I wish I could remember)
                      that KVJ played a key role in persuading him to write
                      in a simpler style for the magazines.

                      4) The conclusion about style of 'en charithram'
                      should not be just based on comparison of his
                      bio of MSPiLLai and his urai-s. It should also take
                      into account the **many** articles he wrote and
                      prefaces he wrote and the speeches he read out in
                      radio..etc around the period (or just before he wrote
                      'en charithram' )

                      5) I read some of the articles (in 38 and 40 Vikadan
                      DeepavaLi malar-s) , his SathAbishEka nanRiyurai ,
                      his preface to KVJ's book (1940) , his article on
                      Tamil Prose style written for inclusion in Tamil
                      school books, his speech on "edhu thamizh" read out
                      on AIR Trichi on 29-9-41 . I also skimmed thru his
                      biographies of the 3 sangeetha vidwans/composers. My
                      conclusion is that the style of 'en charithram' is not
                      that different than that found in these above
                      articles.

                      It is difficult for me to believe that a ghost or KVJ
                      had a hand in writing all these also in addition to
                      'en charithram' ! So my conclusion is : in his later
                      days, esp when he was writing for popular Tamil
                      magazines, he chose simpler style and , most probably,
                      he dictated 'en charithram' to a scribe, perhaps KVJ,
                      who might have suggested a word here and there. But
                      that's all.

                      That's my view. Perhaps a scholarly linguistic,
                      stylistic comparison between the articles I quoted
                      and 'en charithram' may come to a different
                      conclusion.

                      Pasupathy
                      2-12-06

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Sritharan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                          The 2nd edition of UVS's biography of Meenakshi sundharam Pillai
                          (MSP) published in 1938 (-I have a copy) contains lengthy
                          introductions by UVS for both the 1st and 2nd parts. The 1st part,
                          first published in 1933, deals with the life and works of MSP while
                          the 2nd part (1933) deals with UVS's association with MPS. In these
                          introductions, UVS mentions the help he received from KVJ and V.M.
                          Subramanya Iyer in the publication efforts.
                          As for the writing style, there is no doubt that UVS carved a new
                          path in writing biography. Both the parts contain well-defined
                          chapters within which are simple subheadings (eg. ¿¡ÄÊìÌì ̨È¡Áü
                          À¡¼§ÅñÎõ' in part 1 and '¾õÀ¢Ã¡ý¸û ºó§¾¸õ §¸ð¼Ð' in part 2).
                          This organization is faithfully maintained in 'en carithram'
                          (published from 1940 onwards) which contains similar chapter headings
                          and has many passages virtually identical to the MPS part 2 material
                          except for alterations here and there to a slightly more commonplace
                          thamiz which, like Pasupathy says, could be due to KVJ's editing.
                          Thus, a significant portion of en carithram is already contained in
                          MPS biography part 2. One gets the distinct, unequivocal impression
                          that UVS wrote the rest of en carithram also in his own unique style,
                          with possible editorial help from KVJ.

                          ..ananth 2-12-2006

                          By the way, the MSP's biography book displays a photo of MSP's palm
                          leaf writing of iLampUraNar's urai along with his signature. The
                          Institute of Asian Studies, Chennai says that there are 2398 indices
                          of palm leaf manuscripts of UVS.

                        • Pas S. Pasupathy
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                            Dear Thiru Sritharan,

                            Thanks for the pointer to your blog.

                            The best approach, in my opinion, is for the readers
                            to read the the relevant portions of the original
                            auto biography of UVS and make up their own minds
                            about this issue.

                            Since the entire 'en charithram' is available at:

                            http://www.aaraamthinai.com/samugam/thanvaralaaru/index.asp

                            this should not be difficult .

                            I went through it quickly and located the Chapters
                            where Thiru DhAmOdhara piLLai is mentioned .
                            As far as I could ascertain , the Chapters are:

                            91,94,97,98, 99 .

                            If I have left out any more Chapters, my apologies.

                            Pasupathy

                            --- Sritharan <ksri@...> wrote:

> [...]

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Pas S. Pasupathy
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                              Thanks, Ananth for the information.

                              Your mentioning the photo in MSP brings up a
                              side-issue .

                              I have read that the original 'en charithram'
                              series in Vikatan contained many pictures. Though the
                              book available now contains a few, it is not obvious
                              to me that it contains all the pictures that were in
                              the original series. Now that the technology
                              allows such books with pictures to be published
                              rather cost-effectively, I wish they would reissue the
                              autobiography with all the pictures.

                              ( the same goes for many series we enjoyed in
                              Magazines . . from Kalki's Novels to P.Sri's 'Chitra
                              Ramayanam' )

                              Pasupathy
                              2-12-06

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 3, 2006
                                ¾¢Õ ÀÍÀ¾¢ «Å÷¸ÙìÌ, «ó¾ ÍðʸÙìÌ ¿ýÈ¢. «¨ÉòÐ «ò¾¢Â¡Âí¸¨ÇÔõ ¾ÃÅ¢È츢 ´ÕíÌÈ¢ìÌ Á¡üÈ¢ô ÀÊòÐò ¦¾Ç¢× ¦Àü§Èý. Á£ñÎõ ¿ýÈ¢¸û.

                                Anbudan
                                Sritharan
                                | The best approach, in my opinion, is for the readers
                                | to read the the relevant portions of the original
                                | auto biography of UVS and make up their own minds
                                | about this issue.
                                |
                                | Since the entire 'en charithram' is available at:
                                |
                                | http://www.aaraamthinai.com/samugam/thanvaralaaru/index.asp
                                |
                                | this should not be difficult .
                                |
                                | I went through it quickly and located the Chapters
                                | where Thiru DhAmOdhara piLLai is mentioned .
                                | As far as I could ascertain , the Chapters are:
                                |
                                | 91,94,97,98, 99 .
                                |
                                | If I have left out any more Chapters, my apologies.
                                |

                                | Pasupathy
                                |

                                | --- Sritharan <ksri@...> wrote:

                                | > |

                                | > Please read the following post on "En Charithiram":
                                | >

                                | http://srinoolakam.blogspot.com/2005/10/blog-post_05.html
                                | >
                                | > Anbudan
                                | > Sritharan

                              • S.Pasupathy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 3, 2006
                                  ¯¾Å ÓÊó¾¾üÌ Á¸¢ú¸¢§Èý.

                                  ¯.§Å.º¡ ¾¡§Á¡¾Ãõ À¢û¨Ç «Å÷¸¨Çô ÀüÈ¢ '±ý ºÃ¢ò¾¢Ã'ò¾¢ø ±Ø¾¢Â
                                  ±øÄ¡ì ÌÈ¢ôÒ¸¨ÇÔõ ¯í¸û ŨÄôâÅ¢ø þðÎ , ¯í¸û ÓÊ׸¨ÇÔõ
                                  «íÌ þð¼¡ø , «Ð ´Õ ¿øÄ À½¢ ±ýÚ ¿¢¨É츢§Èý. (¿£í¸û ±Ø¾¢Â¾¢Ä¢
                                  ÕóÐ, þ¨½Âò¾¢ø þ¨¾ô ÀüÈ¢ ÓبÁÂ¡É ¾¸Åø¸¨Ç ¡Õõ þÐŨÃ
                                  ¦¸¡Îò¾¾¡¸ò ¦¾Ã¢ÂÅ¢ø¨Ä§Â? ²¦ÉýÚ ¦¾Ã¢ÂÅ¢ø¨Ä. )

                                  ¯.§Å.º¡ À¢û¨Ç «Å÷¸¨Çô ÀüȢ áÖìÌ ±Ø¾¢Â ÓØ ÓýÛ¨Ã
                                  ¨ÂÔõ ¾ÃÄ¡õ.

                                  À¢ÈÌ ¯í¸û ¸Õòи¨ÇÔõ «íÌ þ¼Ä¡§Á?

                                  ÀÍÀ¾¢
                                  3-12-06

                                  --- In agathiyar@yahoogroups.com, "Sritharan" <ksri@...> wrote:

                                  > ¾¢Õ ÀÍÀ¾¢ «Å÷¸ÙìÌ, «ó¾ ÍðʸÙìÌ ¿ýÈ¢. «¨ÉòÐ «ò¾¢
                                  ¡Âí¸¨ÇÔõ ¾ÃÅ¢È츢 ´ÕíÌÈ¢ìÌ Á¡üÈ¢ô ÀÊòÐò ¦¾Ç¢× ¦Àü§Èý.
                                  Á£ñÎõ ¿ýÈ¢¸û.

                                  > Anbudan
                                  > Sritharan

                                • jay bee
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 28, 2010
                                    Re: The Biography of U VE Swaminatha Aiyar
                                    Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:08 PM
                                    From: "villuran@..." <hastham@...>
                                    To: "jaybee555" <jaybee555@...>

                                    Dear Jaybee,

                                    I am interested in getting the books (1) "En Charitram" by U Ve Sa and (2) "En Gurunathar Kathai" by Ki Va Ja. Could you pls guide me, where shall I get these books and what approximately is the cost ? In case you can give me the books for a price, it would be better. I would like to have 2 copies each.

                                    Kindly respond immediately.

                                    Regards,

                                    V R Krishnan
                                    10, Ganeshram Colony
                                    Srinivasa Avenue Road
                                    Raja Annamalaipuram
                                    Chennai 600 028
                                    Mobile: 87544 61645
                                    E Mail: hastham@..., villuran@...

                                    Dear Sir,

                                    I see that you have taken the pains and efforts to trace my letter which was written exactly four years ago.
                                    About UV Saminatha Aiyar.

                                    These books are available in the UVeSaminathaiyar Library in Thiruvanmiyur in Chennai.

                                    I have my own copies.
                                    But at a later stage, I will be selling my collection of books.

                                    By the way, KiVaaJa's book's title is 'En Aasiriyar Piraan'.

                                    Regards

                                    JayBee

                                  • Pas S. Pasupathy
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 28, 2010
                                      If one searches in the Web, 'en cariththiram' can be obtained.

                                      e.g. I remember that 'ARAmthiNai' was the first one to publish it serially in the
                                      web.(in TSC fonts)

                                      http://www.aaraamthinai.com/samugam/thanvaralaaru/index.asp

                                      Tamil Virtual University used to have it in their library.I don't know the present
                                      status.

                                      The Wikipedia entry on U.V.S may give more details too.

                                      Pas S.Pasupathy
                                      http://groups.google.com/group/yAppulagam/
                                      http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/

                                      From: "villuran@..." <hastham@...>